This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Type||Special level Panchayat Town|
|• Body||Batlagundu Special level Panchayat Town|
|• Town President||Vacant|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||TN 57 BZ|
Batlagundu (pronounced Vathalakkundu) is a town in Dindigul district in the Madurai Region state of Tamil Nadu, India. The name Vettrilaikkundrulaterly transformed and changed to Vatthalagundu. The town is the major gateway to Kodaikanal. Subramaniya Siva was writer and activist born in Batlagundu. Batlagundu is the 5th largest town in the dindigul district. Batlagundu having the maximum number of voters in Nilakottai Constituency.
Batlagundu is closely associated with the Agriculture.The Town has a large number of agricultural lands.Batlagundu is an important hub in Dindigul district.The Town is home to various Banana and Coconut productions.
The economy of the town is mostly dependent on agricultural products, and is home to a banana leaf commission, coconut powder exports, spinning mills, and other businesses. With its proximity to the foothills of the Kodaikanal mountain range, there are wholesale businesses that involve vegetables and fruits (carrots, apples, blue cabbage, tomato, and coffee) that grow in the mountains.
Banks in Batlagundu
- Canara Bank
- City Union Bank Limited
- HDFC Bank
- Indian Bank
- Indian Overseas Bank
- Karur Vysya Bank
- Laxmi Vilas Bank
- State Bank of India
- Tamilnad Mercantile Bank Limited
- Co-Operative Bank
- Pandiyan Grama Bank
In the 2001 India census, Batlagundu(PIN: 624202) had a population of 22,007. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Batlagundu has an average literacy rate of 76%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 54% of the males and 46% of females literate. 9% of the population is under 6 years of age.According to 2011 the town had a population of 32577.
Batlagundu climate is awesome and it experiences the cool breeze during the Southeast Monsoon. Batlagundu receives a good Rainfall during Monsoon. The Town is a gateway to Theni district and Kodaikanal. Batlagundu is surrounded by many small hills which are called "kundru" in Tamil.
- Subramaniya Siva - Tamil writer, Batlagundu Bus stand hold his name.
- B. R. Rajam Iyer - (1872–1898) was an Indian lawyer and writer who wrote in Tamil and English. He is the author of Kamalambal Saritharam, one of the earliest Tamil novels written after Prathapa Mudaliar Charithram.
- B. S. Ramiah - (24 March 1905 – 18 May 1983) was a Tamil writer, journalist, and critic from Tamil Nadu, India. He was also a script and dialogue writer in Tamil films, including MGR starer Panathottam (1963). A Sahitya Akademi Award winner.
- Sendrayan - Tamil actor, Contestant of Bigg Boss Tamil Season 2
There are a number of institutions offering State Board and Matriculation syllabus and an ITI. Notable schools include:
- Boys Government Higher Secondary
- Mahalakshmi Girls Higher Secondary School
- Jeyaseelan Matric Higher Secondary School
- Annai velankanni Matric Higher Secondary School
- Saradha Vidhyalaya Matric Higher Secondary School
- Mount Zion Matric Higher Secondary School
- Mount Zion CBSE School
- Panchayat Union School
- Sri Ram School
- First step CBSE School
- Lashmi Narayana School
- Apple kids School
- Vivekananda School
- NSVV Matric Higher Secondary School
- NSVV Boys School
- NSVV Girls School
The town has only a few Private colleges
- Krishna polytechnic college
- National College
- PVP Engineering College
- Teacher training Institute
- Kasi Nursing Institute
- DMS Nursing Institute
- Kanzur Rashad Arabic College
And few institutes also providing higher education.
Batlagundu does not have any Government Colleges.
- Parimalam theatre, Madurai Road
- Govindaswamy theatre, Dindigul Road
For luxurious stay the town has following lodges
- O2 Residency , Dindigul Road
- C.S.T Crystal Inn, Theni Road
- Jai Anjaneya Residency, Toll Gate
Low cost lodges
- R.R lodge ,Main Road
- V.V lodge ,Main Road
- Mangalam lodge ,Main Road
- Balaji Residency, Main Road
- Abirami lodge,Theni Road
- S.V lodge ,Main Road
- M.S.J lodge ,Main Road
- Jeeva lodge, Main Road.
- KMP lodge, GH Road.
Batlagundu is a Town Panchayat city in district of Dindigul. The Batlagundu city is divided into 18 wards for election held every 5 years.
Batlagundu Town Panchayat has total Administration over 8,878 houses to which it supplies basic amenities like water and sewerage. It also authorize to build roads within Town limits and impose taxes on properties coming under its jurisdiction.
The Town includes the following areas which come under the Town Panchayat administration
- Gandhi Nagar
- Thiru Nagar
- Anna Nagar
- VOC Nagar
- EB Colony
- State bank Colony
- oorkalaswamy kovil street
- Middle Street
- South Street
- Telephone Exchange Street
- Perumal Kovil Street
- Kadai Veethi
- Mela kovilpatti
- Byepass Region
- Eden Garden
- Market Region
- Judge Somasundaram Street
- Single Street
- Melamandhai street
- Thatta street
- Kannimarikovil street
- Madurai veeranuku Kovil street
- Old Batlagundu
- St.Thomas Church (Roman Catholic) is located at the centre of the town along with Kaliamman temple and Jumma Mosque. 10-12 substations of Batlagundu have maximum number of christian families.
- Mariamman temple at Old Batlagundu is the main goddess in this region,and the festival being held in this temple at every year is famous in this region.
- Sri Lakshmi Narayana Perumal Temple The temple is situated on the banks of the Manjalaru. The presiding deity is Sri Lakshmi Narayana Perumal.
- Sri Sendraya Perumal Temple - There is an ancient temple of Sri Sendraya Perumal situated on a hill near old Batlagundu. Lord Vishnu is worshiped in this temple as Sri Sendraya Perumal. Devotees seeking peace, prosperity and a healthy life come and worship at this temple.
- Arulmigu Kottai Karuppanasamy Temple is at Viralipatti village. This temple festival is celebrated annually during the Tamil month of Aadi.
- Arulmigu Sri Edamalai Mahalingam temple is situated near Kattakamanpatty village, three kilometers from Batlagundu on the way to Periyakulam.
- Kasi Viswanathar and Vishalakshi Temple
- Jumma Masjid Batlagundu
- Small Jumma Masjid Batlagundu
- Tholugai palli Gandhi nagar
- Tholugai palli Dindigul Road
- CSI church Madurai Byepass
Batlagundu is well connected by road. Batlagundu is situated on the boundaries of Dindigul ,Theni and Madurai Districts.
The Kodaikanal Ghat Road has been designated by the Tamil Nadu State Highway Department as SH-156. It begins at about 8 kilometers (5.0mi) west of Batlagundu and ends at Kodaikanal with a length of 56.8 kilometers (35.3mi).The Road is tolled by the Kodaikanal Municipality. batlagundu is the centre of three districts(Dindigul,Theni,Madurai)
Batlagundu does not have a railway station. Nearest railway stations are
- Kodaikanal Road Railway Station 19.4 km
- Dindigul Junction Railway Station 36 km
- Madurai Junction railway station (largest and busiest station in South Tamil Nadu) 54.6 km
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Dindigul district - A profile". The Hindu. 15 February 2010.
- "Devadhanapatti temple fest passes off peacefully". The Hindu. 2007-02-22. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- "Unique confluence of waters". The Hindu. 2005-07-16. Retrieved 2009-04-12.