Karim at the 2015 San Diego
Black Film Festival
10 February 1979
|Occupation||Writer · Director · Producer|
|Years active||2007 - present|
Karim attended J.J. Pearce High School in Richardson, Texas. He received the degree of Master of Fine Arts in Cinema and Television from Meadows School of the Arts at Southern Methodist University in 2010.
Film and television
Karim's first original feature documentary, Nation of Exiles, screened internationally in Brazil, Italy, France, Spain, and the U.K. His 2014 film, Hate Crimes in the Heartland, won the Paul Robeson Award for Best Feature Documentary at the Newport Black Film Festival. Karim's film and television credits include Spider-Man: Homecoming, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Knight of Cups, Maps to the Stars, WACO, and SMILF.
Karim is the executive producer of the original television series, Dingo Suede: Private Detective, which received the 2014 Cincinnati Cable Access Blue Chip Award for Best Entertainment Program. He also wrote and produced the organic lifestyle program Dig In DFW, which was broadcast on FOX 4 in Dallas, and Ronnie & The Others, a Cincinnati-based talk show. He also produced four seasons of Sing That Thing, a New England regional vocal competition, on WGBH.
Karim owns the independent production studio Be Positive Pictures, and is a producer for the Emmy Award-winning documentary production company Lioness Media Arts. In 2014 he joined the Visual and Media Arts program at Emerson College as Assistant Professor.
- "Bavand Karim Official Website". Archived from the original on 2015-05-09. Retrieved 2019-04-25.
- "1995 Texas Academic Decathlon Scores". Acadec Scores and Information Center. Archived from the original on 2015-05-19. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- Foster, Shelby (October 13, 2011). "Independent Streak: Films by Meadows alumni win festival awards". SMU Magazine. Archived from the original on April 11, 2015. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- "2014 Newark Black Film Festival Announces Paul Robeson Award Winners" (PDF) (Press release). Newark Museum. July 23, 2014. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 4, 2016. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- Bavand Karim on IMDb
- Dingo Suede: Private Detective on IMDb
- Curtis, Nancy (2014). "NKU students produce Cincinnati Cable Access Blue Chip Award winner". Northern Kentucky University. Archived from the original on 2015-04-22.
- Curtis, Nancy (August 19, 2014). "NKU Students' Miniseries Wins Cincy Cable Blue Chip Award". River City News. Archived from the original on November 17, 2015. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- Spaulding, Matt (November 1, 2013). "Ronnie and the Others shines spotlight on tough issues". The Northerner. Archived from the original on November 17, 2015. Retrieved April 23, 2015.
- "Hate Crimes in the Heartland Official Website". Archived from the original on 2015-04-09. Retrieved 2015-04-23.
- "Emerson College Faculty Guide". Archived from the original on 2015-09-05. Retrieved 2015-08-26.