Behavioral and Brain Sciences
|Discipline||Life sciences, behavioral sciences, biology, neuroscience, psychology, genetics, psychiatry|
|Edited by||Paul Bloom, Barbara L. Finlay|
|Behav. Brain Sci.|
Behavioral and Brain Sciences is a peer-reviewed scientific journal of Open Peer Commentary established in 1978 by Stevan Harnad and published by Cambridge University Press. It is modeled on the journal Current Anthropology (which was established in 1959 by the University of Chicago anthropologist, Sol Tax).
The journal publishes "target articles" followed by 10 to 30 or more peer commentaries and the response of the authors of the target article. The journal covers all areas of the biobehavioral and cognitive sciences (psychology, neuroscience, behavioral biology, cognitive science, artificial intelligence, linguistics, philosophy) and articles are judged by four or more referees to be of sufficient importance and interdisciplinary scope to merit Open Peer Commentary. Volume 1 appeared in 1978 and issues appeared quarterly; as its popularity grew it switched to a bimonthly schedule in 1997.
According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2014 impact factor of 20.771, ranking it 2nd out of 51 journals in the category "Behavioral Sciences", 3rd out of 252 journals in the category "Neurosciences", and first out of 14 journals in the category "Psychology, Biological", as well as making it the third-highest ranking journal among 3214 indexed journals in the Social Sciences Citation Index.
- Alva Noë . "As Thinking On Animal Ethics Shifts, New Journal On Animal Feeling Launches". NPR, May 6, 2016
- Inaugural editorial
- Valedictory editorial
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Behavioral Sciences". 2014 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2015.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Neurociences". 2014 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2015.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Psychology, Biological". 2014 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Sciences ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2015.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact". 2014 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Sciences ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2015.