Ben Hammersley, August 2010
3 April 1976 |
|Occupation||journalist, futurist, technologist|
|Notable awards||Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society
Ben Hammersley FRSA FRGS (born 3 April 1976 in Leicester, England) is a British internet technologist, journalist, author and broadcaster based in London, England. In 2013, he became a fellow of the Robert Schuman School for Advanced Studies at the European University Institute, Innovator-in-Residence at the Centre for Creative and Social Technologies at Goldsmiths, University of London, Editor at Large of Conde Nast's Wired UK magazine, a member of the European Commission High Level Expert Group on Media Freedom, and a non-resident fellow of the Brookings Institution. He is married to Aleks Krotoski, with whom he has a daughter.
Hammersley is a member of the Transatlantic Network 2020., and a trustee of the London chapter of the Awesome Foundation. In August 2011 he was made a fellow of the UNAOC. He is a judge of the Lovie Awards.
Life and work
Multimedia reporting and broadcasting
Hammersley has twice presented on BBC Radio 4's documentary strand Analysis, covering Facebook in November 2007, and personal genetic testing in December 2008. In 2014, he presented a six-part BBC World News series on cybercrimes.
- Parsons, Michael (24 April 2009). "Video: Marc Newson's Lockheed Lounge". Wired UK.
- "European Commission – Press release Digital Agenda: high-level group to discuss freedom and pluralism of the media across the EU". 11 October 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-16.
- "Ben Hammersley Tweets about his child".
- "About Our Participants – Getting Involved – British Council – TN2020". British Council. Archived from the original on 16 April 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "Programmes | Analysis | With Friends Like These". BBC News. 8 November 2007. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "Programmes | Analysis | Me and My DNA". BBC News. 11 December 2008. Retrieved 2010-04-18.
- "BBC World News commissions major new Cybercrime series". BBC. 9 October 2014. Retrieved 2014-11-24.
- "Ben Hammersley Tweets about his marriage to Aleks Krotoski". 2014-04-15. Retrieved 2014-04-15.
- Ben Hammersley (2005). Developing feeds with RSS and Atom. Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly. ISBN 0-596-00881-3.
- Ben Hammersley (2006). Hacking Gmail. New York: Wiley Publishing. ISBN 0-7645-9611-X.
- Allen, Jay T. (2005). Hacking Movable Type. Hoboken, N.J: Wiley Technology Pub. ISBN 0-7645-7499-X.
- Timothy Appnel; Ben Hammersley (2007). RSS and Atom Hacks: Tips & Tools for Syndicating Web Content and Services. Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly Media, Inc. ISBN 0-596-10145-7.
- Ben Hammersley (2012). A Smart Guide to Utopia: 111 Inspiring Ideas for a Better City. LeCool. ISBN 84-615-7729-9.
- Ben Hammersley (2012). 64 Things You Need to Know Now for Then. Sydney: Hodder. ISBN 1-4447-2860-1.