|• Total||5.66 km2 (2.19 sq mi)|
|Elevation||420 m (1,380 ft)|
|• Density||150/km2 (390/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Dachsen, Laufen-Uhwiesen, Marthalen, Rheinau, Trüllikon|
Benken is first mentioned in 858 as Pecchinhova.
Benken has an area of 5.7 km2 (2.2 sq mi). Of this area, 59% is used for agricultural purposes, while 33.6% is forested. The rest of the land, (7.4%) is settled.
Benken has a population (as of 31 December 2017) of 858. As of 2007[update], 7.7% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -0.5%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (93.8%), with French being second most common ( 1.4%) and Spanish being third ( 0.7%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 29.3% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 58% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 12.8%. In Benken about 83.2% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Benken has an unemployment rate of 1.91%. As of 2005[update], there were 83 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 24 businesses involved in this sector. 34 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 10 businesses in this sector. 85 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 24 businesses in this sector. The historical population is given in the following table:
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Benken in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived January 5, 2016, at the Wayback Machine accessed 27-Jul-2009
- "STAT-TAB – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit" (online database) (official site) (in German and French). Neuchâtel, Switzerland: Federal Statistical Office - FSO. Retrieved 17 September 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Benken.|