|216 Academy Drive, P.O. Drawer 308
Benton, Mississippi 39039
|Teaching staff||21.3 (FTE)|
|Enrollment||235 (not including 10 PK) (2013-2014)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.0|
|Accreditation||Mississippi Association of Independent Schools, SACS|
Benton Academy is an independent, co-educational college preparatory school in Benton, Mississippi (USA). It is a member of the MAIS. It was founded as a segregation academy in 1969. Although in 2014 Benton Academy claims to have a nondiscriminatory policy, as of 2010 they still did not enroll a single black student. The school is located in Yazoo County, Mississippi, which has a population that is 57 percent black as of the 2010 census.
The demographic breakdown of the 235 students enrolled in 2013-2014 was:
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.0%
- Asian/Pacific islanders - 0.0%
- Black - 0.4%
- Hispanic - 0.4%
- White - 99.2%
- Multiracial - 0.0%
Benton Academy participates in the Mississippi Association of Independent Schools for their sports programs.
- "Search for Private Schools - School Detail for Benton Academy". ed.gov. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- "ENROLLMENT CONTRACT FOR 2014-2015" (pdf). http://benton-academy.net/. Benton Academy. Retrieved 18 July 2014. External link in
- Sarah Carr (December 13, 2012). "Private academies keep students separate and unequal 40 years later". The Atlantic. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- "Yazoo County, Mississippi". www.census.gov. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 18 July 2014.
- "Mississippi Association of Independent Schools Home Page". msais.org. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
- "Wes Shivers". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved 15 September 2015.
|This Mississippi school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|