Berkeley-Rupp Architecture Professorship and Prize
The Berkeley-Rupp Architecture Professorship and Prize is a prize awarded every two years by the University of California, Berkeley College of Environmental Design (UEC). The cash portion of the prize includes $100,000 awarded to the recipient. Recipients also earn a semester-long professorship at UC Berkeley. The prize is intended to honor a "distinguished design practitioner or academic who has made significant contributions to advance gender equity in the field of architecture, and whose work exhibits commitment to sustainability and community."
Sigrid Lorenzen Rupp created the idea of the prize prior to her death in 2004, in order to "foster a holistic approach to architecture and professional practice." Jennifer Wolch, Dean of UEC, helped lead the effort to establishing the prize. The inaugural year for the prize was 2012.
The physical representation of the prize, created by Associate Professor Ronald Rael (Berkeley) and Associate Professor Virginia San Fratello (San Jose State University), is made of 3D printed ceramic. Rather than the two dimensional medals awarded as architecture prizes, whose history is rooted in war, the three-dimensional award and is "fabricated under the new paradigm of additive manufacturing" using humankind oldest and most humble material.
|Name||Image||Birth–Death||Year||Area of achievement|
|Deborah Berke||2012||First recipient of the prize.|
|Sheila Kennedy||2014||Creator of innovative, soft material structures that are applicable in diverse situations.|
|Carme Pinós||2016||Founder of the Estudio Carme Pinós .|
|Deanna Van Buren||2018||Founder of Designing Justice + Designing Spaces (DJDS).|
- Testado, Justine (15 September 2014). "Sheila Kennedy of KVA MATx Wins 2014 Berkeley-Rupp Prize". Archinect. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- King, John (15 September 2014). "$100,000 Berkeley-Rupp Architecture Prize announced". SF Gate. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- 18 September 2014. "Winner of the Berkeley-Rupp Architecture Professorship & Prize". Premios Arquitectura. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Campbell, Scott (16 September 2014). "Sheila Kennedy Awarded $100K Berkeley-Rupp Prize". MIT News. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "The Berkeley-Rupp Architecture Professorship and Prize". Organization of Women Architects and Design Professionals. March 2015. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Palmer, Lauren (24 February 2015). "Beverly Willis Architecture Foundation Hosts Leadership Awards Gala, Kicks off Built By Women Exhibition". Architectural Record. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Lewis, Anna M. (2014). Women of Steel and Stone: 22 Inspirational Architects, Engineers, and Landscape Designers. Chicago, Illinois: Chicago Review Press. p. 89. ISBN 978-1-61374-508-3.
- "Berkeley-Rupp Prize for Architecture". Emerging Objects. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Walter, Alexander (11 September 2012). "New York Architect Deborah Berke Selected for Berkeley-Rupp Prize". Archinect. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Klimoski, Alex (14 September 2016). "Carme Pinós Wins 2016 Berkeley-Rupp Architecture Professorship and Prize". Architectural Record. Retrieved 2019-01-06.
- Franklin, Sydney (2018-11-13). "Deanna Van Buren wins the 2018 Berkeley-Rupp Professorship and Prize". Archpaper.com. Retrieved 2019-01-06.