Better Than Heaven
|Better Than Heaven|
|Studio album by Stacey Q|
|Released||October 17, 1986|
Formula 1, La Habra, California,
Atlantic Studios, New York City
|Producer||Jon St. James|
|Stacey Q chronology|
Better Than Heaven is the debut studio album by American singer Stacey Q, released on October 17, 1986 by Atlantic Records. Produced by Jon St. James, Better Than Heaven is predominantly a dance-pop album with elements of Hi-NRG, freestyle and new wave music. She collaborated with the same line-up of musicians with whom she had previously performed in the band SSQ. They later continued to work on her other solo albums, Hard Machine (1988) and Nights Like This (1989).
Released during the rise of popularity of the lead single, "Two of Hearts", Better Than Heaven received generally positive reviews from music critics and peaked at number fifty-nine on the Billboard 200. The album was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
Three singles from the album were released. The lead single "Two of Hearts" peaked at number three on the Billboard Hot 100 and also did well on the Hot Dance Club Songs, landing at number four. It became one of the highest-selling singles of 1986, selling over one million copies. The second single, "We Connect", was also successful in charts, peaking at number 35 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 14 on the Hot Dance Club Songs. Stacey Q performed both songs on the television series The Facts of Life where she guest starred as Cinnamon, an aspiring singer.
|1.||"Two of Hearts"||
|4.||"Better Than Heaven"||
|5.||"Don't Let Me Down"||3:53|
|6.||"Music Out of Bounds"||4:24|
|7.||"Love or Desire"||
|8.||"Don't Break My Heart"||
|9.||"He Doesn't Understand"||5:07|
Credits and personnel
- Stacey Q
- Skip Hahn
- Karl Moet
- Rich West
- Jon St. James
- Frank Del Rio - associate producer (track 7)
- William J. Walker :- associate producer (track 1)
- Jeff C. Fishman - associate producer (track 1)
- Willie Wilcox - associate producer (track 2), additional synth programming
- Keith Cowen - production coordinator
- Kirk Henry - production assistance
- Nancy Wendland - production assistance
- Keith Zajic - production assistance
- Gary Mraz - additional synth programming
- Dave Sitz - additional synth programming
- Dave Guccione - additional synth programming
- Aaron Rapoport - photography
- Danny Mendellin - hair & make-up
- Ed Jensen - hair & make-up
- Charlotte McGinnes - hair & make-up
- Tish & Gina - band stylists
- Jodi Rovin - design
- Barry Diament - CD mastering
Charts and certifications
- These are the peak positions and certifications from chart providers.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||36|
|U.S. Billboard 200||59||Gold|
|U.S. Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums||46|
- Buss, Bryan. "Better Than Heaven - Stacey Q". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 2015-02-05.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (Illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 290. ISBN 0-646-11917-6. N.B. The Kent Report chart was licensed by ARIA between mid 1983 and 19 June 1988.