Betty Bossi head office
Betty Bossi is a Swiss cookbook publisher. The Betty Bossi brand published various cookbooks and newsletters and sponsored various cooking contests. Shirley Eu-Wong, author of Culture shock!: Switzerland, said that Betty Bossi "recipe booklets can be found in almost any Swiss-Romande kitchen cabinet." The brand is operated by Betty Bossi AG/Betty Bossi SA, headquartered in Zurich, which is owned by the Coop group.
The name originates from "Betty Bossi", a fictional character created in the mid-1950s, taking inspiration from Betty Crocker. Gary Genosko, author of "Better than butter: Margarine and simulation," said that the character "Betty Bossi" was "a kind of Franco-Swiss Betty Crocker". Bossi was said to be the inventor of "tartines," a bread-and-butter snack.
For a period of time around 2003, Swiss International Air Lines offered a buy on board service in economy class on European flights generally 70 minutes or longer, with menu items from Betty Bossi.
- Eu-Wong, Shirley. Culture shock!: Switzerland. Graphic Arts Center Pub. Co., 1996. ISBN 1558682481, 9781558682481. Limited preview available on Google Books. Est. 1986
- Genosko, Gary. "Better than butter: Margarine and simulation." - in Clarke, David B., Marcus A. Doel, William Merrin, and Richard G. Smith (editors). Jean Baudrillard: Fatal Theories. Routledge, 2009. ISBN 1134040717, 9781134040711. Available on Google Books.
- Engeler, Eliane. "Swiss seek to settle debate over the true fondue." Associated Press at USA Today. 12 October 2009. Retrieved on 24 September 2012. Alternates: From the Victoria Advocate, From The Star, from the Rutland Herald.
- Genosko in Clarke et al p. 84.
- Eu-Wong p. 126.
- "Impressum." (German) Betty Bossi. Retrieved on 24 September 2012. "Betty Bossi AG Bürglistrasse 29 CH-8021 Zürich"
- "Impressum." (French) Betty Bossi. Retrieved on 24 September 2012. "Betty Bossi SA Bürglistrasse 29 CH-8021 Zurich"
- "Swiss Economy Food and drinks Europe." () Swiss International Air Lines. 14 May 2004. Retrieved on 24 September 2012.
- "Coop kauft «Betty Bossi»." 20 Minuten. 21 December 2012. Retrieved on 20 June 2019.
- "Betty Bossi factsheet." Coop. 31 December 2018. Retrieved on 20 June 2019.
- Official website (in German)