Bharat Vir Wanchoo
|Bharat Vir Wanchoo|
|Governor of Goa|
4 May 2012 – 4 June 2014
|Preceded by||K Sankaranarayanan|
|Succeeded by||Margaret Alva|
|Born||15 October 1951|
|Alma mater||Scindia School, Delhi University, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy|
Wanchoo belongs to the 1976 batch of the Indian Police Service from the West Bengal cadre. He was posted in the Intelligence Bureau when he was asked to join the Special Protection Group set up in 1985 after the assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. He has served in various positions in the Special Protection Group since then, and is considered to be close to the Gandhi family. He was transferred out in November 1997 but brought back to the SPG in February 1998 at Sonia Gandhi's request. Wanchoo alternated between postings in the IB and the SPG, serving these two organisations for 13 and 18 years respectively. Wanchoo was appointed Director of the SPG in 2004 for an initial two-year term but continued in that post for seven years till his retirement on 31 October 2011.
Governor of Goa
On 4 May 2012, Wanchoo took charge as Governor of Goa. His tenure as Governor of Goa was appreciated by many including a Bharatiya Janata Party MLA from Goa and he was also called the best Governor the state ever had. He was questioned by the Central Bureau of Investigation on 4 July 2014 as a witness in connection with the 2013 Indian helicopter bribery scandal. He resigned on 4 July 2014 from the position of Governor of Goa.
Honours and Awards
- Awarded the Indian Police Medal in 1993
- Awarded the President's Police Medal in 2001
- 'Tonk Cup' at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy for being the best horse rider of his batch.
- Wanchoo quits as Goa governor
- "Raj Bhavan". rajbhavangoa.org.
- Special Correspondent. "Wanchoo resignation accepted; Margaret Alva gets Goa, Gujarat too". The Hindu.
- "Raj Bhavan". rajbhavangoa.org.
- "Goa Governor Bharat Vir Wanchoo with his wife Nalini Wanchoo at the Portugal National Day celebration in Goa". Times of India. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Scindia Old Boys Association : Events". scindiaoldboys.com.
- "Alumni". fakten-uber.de.
- "Resume at Raj Bhavan website (Archived at Webcite)". Raj Bhavan, Goa. Archived from the original on July 8, 2014. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Durga Prasad likely to be new SPG chief; Wanchoo retires". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Bharat Vir Wanchoo is new Goa Governor | newKerala.com, 15224". newkerala.com. 2012. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
The 1976 IPS bath officer
- "Inside Track". Indian Express. 1 February 1998. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "Bharat Vir Wanchoo to be sworn in Goa Governor today". The Hindu. 4 May 2012. Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- "B.V. WANCHOO WILL BE THE NEW DIRECTOR SPG". Retrieved 7 May 2012.
- Aires Rodrigues (6 July 2014). "[Goanet] A PEOPLE'S GOVERNOR DEPARTS". mail-archive.com.
- "Target Goa : B V Wanchoo was a very dignified governor". targetgoa.com.
- "Goa English News - oHeraldo English News Daily - Goa News Online". heraldgoa.in.
- IANS (7 July 2014). "After resignation, Wanchoo called Goa's best governor". business-standard.com.
- Goa Governor BV Wanchoo Resigns After Being Questioned by CBI in AugustaWestland Chopper Deal - NDTV
- Goa Governor Wanchoo resigns - The Hindu
- "Goa's Wanchoo quits; 5th governor to do so". http://www.hindustantimes.com/. External link in
- "Goa Governor B.V. Wanchoo Resigns". outlookindia.com.