List of governors of Goa
|Governor of Goa|
|Residence||Raj Bhavan, Goa, Panaji|
|Appointer||President of India|
|Term length||Five Years|
|Inaugural holder||Gopal Singh|
|Formation||1 April 1936|
The Governor of Goa is a nominal head and representative of the President of India in the state of Goa. The Governor is appointed by the President for a term of 5 years. Mridula Sinha became the Governor on 26 August 2014.
Powers and functions
The Governor has:
- Executive powers related to administration, appointments and removals,
- Legislative powers related to lawmaking and the state legislature, that is Vidhan Sabha or Vidhan Parishad, and
- Discretionary powers to be carried out according to the discretion of the Governor.
Ex officio powers
- The Governor is the Chancellor of the Goa University and exercises powers delegated under the Goa University Act, 1984 and the Statutes of the University.
- The Governor is the ex officio President of the Indian Red Cross Society, Goa Branch and has the powers to appoint the Chairman, Hon. Secretary, etc.
- The Governor is the President of the Goa State Environment Protection Council, which is an Advisory Body, set up by the Government of Goa. The Council consisting of Government Authorities and the NGOs engaged in environmental and the related areas meets once in six months and deliberates on various issues on the environment and ecology of the State.
- The Governor is the Chairman of the Special Fund for Rehabilitation and Reconstruction of Ex-Servicemen and Widows.
Previous governors of Goa
Portuguese Governors General
The first Portuguese Governor General was Francisco de Almeida in 1505 and the last Manuel Antonio Vassalo E Silva who left office in 1961. In total there have been 163 Governor Generals. For a complete list see https://web.archive.org/web/20050209202101/http://www.rajbhavangoa.org/html/09_body_portgov.htm .
Lieutenant Governors of Goa, Daman and Diu
|#||Name||Took Office||Left Office|
|1||Maj Gen K. P. Candeth (Military Governor)||19 December 1961||6 June 1962|
|2||T. Sivasankar||7 June 1962||1 September 1963|
|3||M. R. Sachdev||2 September 1963||8 December 1964|
|4||Hari Sharma||12 December 1964||23 February 1965|
|5||K. R. Damle||24 February 1965||17 April 1967|
|6||Nakul Sen||18 April 1967||15 November 1972|
|7||S. K. Banerji||16 November 1972||15 November 1977|
|8||P. S. Gill||16 November 1977||30 March 1981|
|9||Jagmohan||31 March 1981||29 August 1982|
|10||I H Latif||30 August 1982||23 February 1983|
|11||K. T. Satarawala||24 February 1983||3 July 1984|
|12||I H Latif||4 July 1984||23 September 1984|
|13||Gopal Singh||24 September 1984||29 May 1987|
Governors after 1987
Goa became a full-fledged state of the Indian Union in 1987 and since then has had the following governors:
|#||Name||Took Office||Left Office|
|1||Gopal Singh||30 May 1987||17 July 1989|
|2||Khurshed Alam Khan||18 July 1989||17 March 1991|
|3||Bhanu Prakash Singh||18 March 1991||3 April 1994|
|4||B. Rachaiah||4 April 1994||3 August 1994|
|5||Gopala Ramanujam||4 August 1994||15 June 1995|
|6||Romesh Bhandari||16 June 1995||18 July 1996|
|7||P.C. Alexander||19 July 1996||15 January 1998|
|8||T. R. Satish Chandran||16 January 1998||18 April 1998|
|9||J. F. R. Jacob||19 April 1998||26 November 1999|
|10||Mohammed Fazal||26 November 1999||25 October 2002|
|11||Kidar Nath Sahani||26 October 2002||2 July 2004|
|-||Mohammed Fazal (acting)||3 July 2004||16 July 2004|
|12||S. C. Jamir||17 July 2004||21 July 2008|
|13||Shivinder Singh Sidhu||22 July 2008||26 August 2011|
|14||Kateekal Sankaranarayanan||27 August 2011||3 May 2012|
|15||Bharat Vir Wanchoo||4 May 2012||4 July 2014|
|16||Margaret Alva||12 July 2014||5 August 2014|
|-||Om Prakash Kohli (additional charge)||6 August 2014||25 August 2014|
|17||Mridula Sinha||26 August 2014||Incumbent|