Bideford Quay railway station
|Bideford Quay Station|
Map showing the position of Causeway Crossing Halt
|Original company||Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway|
|Pre-grouping||British Electric Traction|
|20 May 1901||Opened|
|28 March 1917||Closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Bideford Quay Station was a railway station in Bideford, North Devon; the southern terminus on the Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway, serving the town and passengers from Bideford railway station on the London and South Western Railway. It lay on Bideford Quay where the company offices were situated.
The station lay on Bideford Quay and had a siding and after considerable opposition from the town council a run round loop. Situated on a public road the rails were not set on standard railway sleepers, running instead on sunken longitudinal timbers.
The station had freight facilities consisting of a single siding and a parcels service. A platform was not provided and the first section running towards the Pill Road was a tramway, however the run round loop allowed for locomotives to run round the coaches.
In January 1901, the first train, with one carriage, ran from Bideford to Northam carrying a few friends of the Directors.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
Line and station closed
|Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway||Terminus|
|Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway.|
- Jenkins, Page 44
- Baxter, Page 8
- Jenkins, Page 123
- Lenkins, Page 61
- Jenkins, Page 55
- Jenkins, Page 35
- Baxter, Page 6
- Baxter, Julia & Jonathan (1980). The Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore railway 1901-1917. Pub. Chard. ISBN 0-9507330-1-6.
- Christie, Peter (1995). North Devon History. The Lazarus Press. ISBN 1-898546-08-8.
- Garner, Rod (2008). The Bideford, Westward Ho! & Appledore Railway. Pub. Kestrel Railway Books. ISBN 978-1-905505-09-8.
- Griffith, Roger (1969). The Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway. School project and personal communications. Bideford Museum.
- Jenkins, Stanley C. (1993). The Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway. Oxford : Oakwood Press. ISBN 0-85361-452-0.
- Stuckey, Douglas (1962). The Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway 1901-1917. Pub. West Country Publications.