Big Creek Airport (Idaho)
Big Creek Airport
|Owner||State of Idaho - ITD Division of Aeronautics|
|Location||Valley County, Idaho|
|Elevation AMSL||5,743 ft / 1,750 m|
Big Creek Airport (FAA LID: U60) is a state-owned public-use airstrip in Valley County, Idaho, United States. It is located 12 nautical miles (14 mi, 22 km) northeast of Yellow Pine, Idaho () and 17 nautical miles (20 mi, 31 km) west of the Cabin Creek USFS Airport (). The airstrip is actually on Forest Service managed land. The state of Idaho Division of Aeronautics has a special use permit to perform annual maintenance on the strip and some facilities. The airport is located at the Big Creek Ranger Station (Forest Service Station- Not Ranger Station) in Payette National Forest, adjacent to the Big Creek Campground. The airstrip previously served the Big Creek Lodge, which burned down in 2008.
Facilities and aircraft
Big Creek Airport covers an area of 13 acres (5.3 ha) at an elevation of 5,743 feet (1,750 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 1/19 with a turf surface measuring 3,550 by 110 feet (1,082 x 34 m). For the 12-month period ending September 13, 2010, the airport had 4,000 aircraft operations, an average of 10 per day: 75% general aviation and 25% air taxi.
The airstrip is snow free from early May to late October, generally. During that period in 2010, there were 675 landings. During the winter, there is almost no use and skis are required.
- FAA Airport Master Record for U60 ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective 30 June 2011.
- "Distance and heading from 44°57'54"N 115°29'37"W (Yellow Pine, Idaho) to U60". Great Circle Mapper. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- "Distance and heading from I08 to U60". Great Circle Mapper. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- "Big Creek (U60)". Airport Directory. Idaho Transportation Department. Archived from the original on 8 July 2011. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- "Payette National Forest - Big Creek Campground". USDA Forest Service. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- "Travel Info & Maps". Big Creek Lodge. Archived from the original on 19 September 2008.