Balas was born in Cleveland, Ohio. He was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis after incurring a pneumothorax as an infant. The advancing symptoms of the illness forced him to drop out of high school at age seventeen. After receiving a successful double lung transplant he moved to Los Angeles, California, and was accepted into the American Film Institute, where he earned a MFA in Screenwriting.
- 2015 Writer Access Project Honoree (Affliction) 
- 2010 Teleplay Competition: Original Pilot Winner (Murphy's Last Stand) 
American Screenwriting Competition
- 2006 Grand Prize Winner (The Pros and Cons of Breathing) 
International Student Film Festival Hollywood
- 2006 Best Horror/Thriller Winner (House of the Rising Sun) 
- 2005 Production Award Winner (The Pros and Cons of Breathing) 
- "Bill Balas". Internet Movie Data Base.
- "2015 Writer Access Project Honorees". WGA. Writers Guild of America.
- "Slamdance 2010 Winners". Moviebytes.
- "American Screenwriting Competition". Flatshoe Entertainment.
- "ISFFH 2010 Winners". International Student Film Festival Hollywood.
- "Alfred P. Sloan Award". AFI Conservatory.
|This biographical article related to television is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|