Bill Dobbins (born 1943) is an American photographer who specializes in bodybuilding, physique and fitness photography. In particular, Dobbins is well known for his work in photographing female bodybuilders and has published two books of images on the subject, The Women and Modern Amazons.
Dobbins was associated with Ben Weider and bodybuilding organizations such as the IFBB and NPC. Dobbins is also an author and writer for physique magazines. He has collaborated with Arnold Schwarzenegger on several books, including Arnold's Bodybuilding For Men and The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding.
Career and history
After working in Europe, predominantly in the music industry, Dobbins returned to America to work as a radio producer, primarily at WNBC and WABC in New York. He eventually moved to California where he became involved with the original Gold's Gym. During this period Dobbins met several male bodybuilders, such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, and undertook promotional work for the gym. This attracted the attention of Joe Weider, and Dobbins began writing for Muscle & Fitness, eventually being made a founding editor of Flex magazine.
Dobbins has created a number of photo and music web sites. The Female Physique Webzine/Gallery (www.billdobbins.com) and the Female Physique Art Gallery (www.billdobbins.net) feature photos and profiles of female bodybuilders. His music site www.billdobbinsmusic.com features songs he has written. Dobbins also collaborates with wwblackiceapps.com for downloadable products.
- Dobbins, Bill (1994). The Women: Photographs of the Top Female Bodybuilders. Eating Well Books. ISBN 1-885183-01-1.
- Dobbins, Bill (2002). Modern Amazons. Köln: Taschen. ISBN 3-8228-1291-9.
- "BIOGRAPHY AND CREDITS". BILL DOBBINS. http://web.archive.org/. Retrieved 11 April 2013. External link in
- Dobbins, Bill; Schwarzenegger, Arnold (1981). Arnold's Bodybuilding for men. New York: Simon and Schuster. ISBN 0-671-25613-0.
- Schwarzenegger, Arnold (1999). The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding : The Bible of Bodybuilding, Fully Updated and Revised. New York: Simon & Schuster. ISBN 0-684-85721-9.