|Born||February 10, 1977|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|2000–2001||St. Peters (assistant)|
|2001–2006||UNC Wilmington (assistant)|
|2006–2010||Wright State (assoc. HC)|
|Head coaching record|
|Accomplishments and honors|
|Horizon League Coach of the Year (2013)|
Donlon played four years of basketball at UNC Wilmington under Jerry Wainwright, scoring 901 career points and handing out 457 assists. After graduation, Donlon played professionally in France, Germany, and Ireland.
Donlon started his coaching career with American and St. Peters as an assistant coach before returning to his alma mater to be an assistant coach under Brad Brownell for four seasons. He followed Brownell when he accepted the position at Wright State. When Brownell departed for the head coaching position at Clemson, Donlon was elevated to the head coach of the Raiders.
Wright State athletic director Bob Grant said: “Coach Donlon brings not only an ability to continue what has been laid in place but also a wealth of basketball knowledge and expertise to his new position. We are confident that Billy will continue building our program and take Raider basketball to another level of success.”
On March 18, 2016, Wright State fired Donlon after 6 seasons as head coach.
On March 26, 2019, Donlon was named the head coach of the UMKC men's basketball team. He replaced Kareem Richardson and is the first UMKC coach to take the position with previous head coaching experience since 2001.
Head coaching record
|Wright State Raiders (Horizon League) (2010–2016)|
|2012–13||Wright State||23–13||10–6||T–3rd||CBI Semifinals|
|2013–14||Wright State||21–15||10–6||3rd||CIT Second Round|
|Wright State:||109–94 (.537)||53–49 (.520)|
|Kansas City Roos (Western Athletic Conference) (2019–present)|
|Kansas City Roos (Summit League) (2019–present)|
|Kansas City:||27–27 (.500)||15–14 (.517)|
Postseason invitational champion
- Mottram, Chris (April 13, 2010). "Wright State's Brad Brownell to Replace Oliver Purnell as Clemson Coach". sbnation.com. Retrieved June 27, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Wright State Raiders promote assistant Billy Donlon to Head Coach, succeeding Brad Brownell". ESPN.com. Associated Press. April 14, 2010. Retrieved June 27, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Borzello, Jeff; Goodman, Jeff (March 19, 2016). "Wright State Raiders fire coach Billy Donlon". ESPN.com. Retrieved June 27, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Donlon, Washington Named Assistant Coaches". MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. 2016-05-04. Retrieved 2016-05-04. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Ryan, Shannon (June 26, 2017). "Northwestern hires Billy Donlon as assistant basketball coach". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved June 27, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Schiffer, Alex (March 29, 2019). "Billy Donlon will draw from his Northwestern, Michigan days to build UMKC basketball". Kansas City Star. Retrieved February 1, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)