St Leonard's belltower
Yarpole shown within Herefordshire
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish||Croft and Yarpole|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Fire||Hereford and Worcester|
|EU Parliament||West Midlands|
|UK Parliament||North Herefordshire|
Yarpole is a village in Croft and Yarpole civil parish, Herefordshire, England, about 4 1⁄2 miles (7 km) northwest of Leominster. The village is near the county boundary with Shropshire and about 7 miles (11 km) southwest of Ludlow. The civil parish includes the hamlets of Bicton south of the village, Bircher northeast of the village, and Croft.
The oldest part of St Leonard's Church of England parish church is the 13th-century font. Most of the building is early 14th-century and was restored and extended to designs by George Gilbert Scott in 1864. It is a Grade II* listed building. In 2009 the interior of the church was extensively reordered and a community shop and Post Office were built at the west end of the church.
Yarpole is one of several Herefordshire parishes whose belltower stands separate from the church. The ground stage is built of stone; the roofs and upper stage are timber-framed. It is one of a number of partly or largely timber-framed belltowers in Herefordshire. It is a Grade I listed building. The tower was thought to be 13th-century, but dendrochronology has dated its main timbers to 1192, making it one of the oldest timber-framed structures in England.
- Historic England. "Church of St Leonard (Grade II*) (1296754)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "The Building". The Community Website for Yarpole Parish. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Historic England. "Tower about 15 metres south of Church of St Leonard (Grade I) (1081790)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "About Yarpole". The Community Website for Yarpole Parish. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Hill, Shaun. "The Bell Inn, Yarpole, Herefordshire". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "Flicks in the Sticks". The Community Website for Yarpole Parish. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus (1963). Herefordshire. The Buildings of England. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. p. 327.
- RCHME, ed. (1934). "Yarpole". An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the County of Herefordshire. 3, North West. London: Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England. pp. 215–217.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yarpole.|
|This Herefordshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|