Birkenhead North TMD
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
A Merseyrail Class 507 outside the depot.
|Location||Birkenhead, United Kingdom|
|Depot code(s)||BD (1976-)|
|Opened||prior to 1899|
|Former depot code(s)||BN (1973-1976)|
Birkenhead North TMD is a traction maintenance depot, which is owned by Network Rail, located opposite Birkenhead North railway station for servicing Merseyrail Class 507 and 508 multiple units and rolling stock. The depot code is BD.
The former Bidston Shed, with the shed code 6F, was situated on the opposite side of the tracks, and slightly further towards Bidston, from the depot. An Ordnance Survey map shows that the site of Birkenhead North TMD was occupied, by a railway depot, by 1899. However, the actual Birkenhead North engine shed, as it was then named, was located to the north of the present depot, on the goods line to the docks. In 1985 and 1986, in order to celebrate "100 years of Mersey Railways," the depot held a series of open days. On these occasions a number of mainline locomotives were on display at the depot. Among the locomotives included were Class 40 locomotive number 40122 D200 and Class 50 locomotive number 50007 Sir Edward Elgar (formerly Hercules).
Merseyrail is due to have its entire fleet of 507 and 508 EMUs replaced between 2019-2021. As part of the £460 million pound project, both Birkenhead North TMD and Kirkdale TMD depots will be upgraded to be capable of maintaining the new fleet.
Four Class 03 diesel shunters were also employed at the depot on dock shunting duties. The shunters were numbered 03073, 03162, 03170 and 03189. Since the Birkenhead Dock Branch fell into disuse, all four of these locomotives have been sold to railway heritage preservation groups.
- "The all-time guide to UK Shed and Depot Codes" (PDF). TheRailwayCentre.com. 5 May 2006. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 December 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- Disused Stations: Railways at Bidston
- Marsden 1987, p. 15
- Disused Stations: Birkenhead North engine shed
- Rail Enthusiast magazine, No.58, Merseyrail 100 celebrations.
- "Merseyrail to get new train fleet". Global Rail News. 19 December 2016. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- S. K. Baker. Rail Atlas Great Britain & Ireland. ISBN 0-86093-553-1.
- Marsden, Colin J. (1987). BR Depots. Motive power recognition. 6. Ian Allan. ISBN 9780711017191. OCLC 18685680.
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (2014). Birkenhead to West Kirby. Middleton Press. figs. 20-23. ISBN 9781908174611. OCLC 885451764.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Birkenhead North TMD.|