|Turnaround video of specimen RMNH 89412, Naturalis Biodiversity Center|
The black-browed babbler (Malacocincla perspicillata) is a songbird species in the family Pellorneidae. The species is endemic to Borneo. Only a single specimen, collected in the nineteenth century was known, until the bird was rediscovered in Borneo during 2020.
Its rediscovery in 2020 solidified the belief that the bird is from southeast Borneo.
The conservation status of M. perspicillata is insufficiently known. Formerly, it was classified as Vulnerable by the IUCN. But new research has shown the lack of reliable information, while on the other hand, some conjectural presumptions have been gleaned from the specimen, opening up new lines of research. Consequently, its status was changed to Data Deficient in 2008. The songbird is threatened by agriculture, logging allowed within protected areas, plantations for rubber and palm oil, and drought fires. Within the next few years, there is risk of near complete loss of dryland lowland forest in Kalimantan.
- BirdLife International (2016). "Black-browed Babbler: Malacocincla perspicillata". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. 2016: e.T22715827A94470581. doi:10.2305/IUCN.UK.2016-3.RLTS.T22715827A94470581.en. Retrieved 16 January 2021.
- Phillipps, Quentin; Phillipps, Karen (2011). Phillipps' Field Guide to the Birds of Borneo. Oxford, UK: John Beaufoy Publishing. ISBN 978-1-906780-56-2.
- BLI (2006)
- BLI (2008)
- Akbar, P.G.; Nugroho, T.W.; Suranto, M.; Fauzan, M.R.; Ferdiansyah, D.; Trisiyanto, J.S.; Yong, D.L. (2021). "Missing for 170 years—the rediscovery of Black-browed Babbler Malacocincla perspicillata on Borneo" (PDF). BirdingASIA 34: 13–14. Oriental Bird Club. Retrieved 25 February 2021.
- BirdLife International (BLI) (2008): 2008 IUCN Redlist status changes. Retrieved 23 May 2008
- Collar, N.J.; Robson, C. (2007): Family Timaliidae (Babblers). In: del Hoyo, Josep; Elliott, Andrew; Christie, D.A. (eds.): Handbook of Birds of the World, Volume 12 (Picathartes to Tits and Chickadees): 70–291. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions.
- Black-browed Babbler: (Malacocincla perspicillata) BirdLife Species Factsheet
- Photograph of a living specimen included in a March 2, 2021 New York Times news summary
- A news article by the BBC about the bird's rediscovery in 2020
- Bonaparte CL (1850). Conspectus Generum Avium. Tom. I. [Volume I]. Leiden: E.J. Brill. 543 pp. (Cacopitta (Myothera) perspicillata, new species, p. 257). (in Latin).