A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (February 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Robert David Roth
October 10, 1950
|Education||University of California at Berkeley|
|Occupation||Educator, author, meditation teacher|
|Known for||Transcendental Meditation teacher|
|Parent(s)||Merall and Susan Roth|
Bob Roth (born October 10, 1950) is an American Transcendental Meditation (TM) teacher and author. He is the CEO of the David Lynch Foundation and a director of the Center for Leadership Performance.
Early life and education
Bob Roth was born in Washington, D.C., U.S.A. He is the son of Dr. Merall Roth, a radiologist, and Susan Roth, a teacher. He attended Redwood High School in Larkspur, California, and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley .
Roth has taught TM for over 40 years. His students include thousands of at-risk students in underserved schools, military veterans, women and children who have experienced domestic violence, and numerous celebrities like Tom Hanks, Oprah Winfrey, Hugh Jackman, Martin Scorsese, Katy Perry, Russell Brand, and others.
Roth learned TM at the Berkeley TM Center in 1968. In 1972, he took a semester off college to travel to Spain and study with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. After six month of study, Roth became a TM teacher himself.
Roth is the author of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's Transcendental Meditation and Strength in Stillness. On his Sirius XM radio show, Success without Stress, Roth sits down with prominent meditators to discuss their practices and the influence of Transcendental Meditation on their lives.
Roth resides in New York, N.Y. He has three siblings: his sister, Ellen, and brothers Bill and Tom. Having grown up in the San Francisco Bay Area, Roth is a fan of the San Francisco Giants and Golden State Warriors. He idolized Willie Mays in his youth and is a big fan of Stephen Curry today.
In 2015, Roth was the recipient of the Disruptor Award from the Tribeca Disruptive Innovation Awards for David Lynch Foundation’s innovative work serving at-risk populations.
Publications and works
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's Transcendental Meditation. Plume, 1988. 978-1556110856
- Strength in Stillness. Simon & Schuster, 2018. 978-1501161216
- (2018). Retrieved January 29, 2018, from https://www.davidlynchfoundation.org/board-of-directors.html
- (2016). Retrieved January 29, 2018, from https://www.tmbusiness.org/about-clp/our-team/
- Wolfe, A. (2017, June 30). Transcendental Meditation for Everyone. Wall Street Journal. https://www.wsj.com/articles/transcendental-meditation-for-everyone-1498842465
- (1965, June 23). Redwood Hi-Notes. Sausalito News. https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=SN19650623.2.95
- O'Connell, P.M. (2017, January 2). Can in-school meditation help curb youth violence? Chicago Tribune. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-classroom-meditation-disadvantaged-students-met-20161231-story.html
- (2018). Retrieved January 29, 2018, from https://www.davidlynchfoundation.org/research.html#veterans
- (2018). Retrieved January 29, 2018, from https://www.davidlynchfoundation.org/women.html
- Aleksander, I. (2011, March 18). Look Who's Meditating Now. The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/fashion/20TM.html
- Hartman, E. (2017, April 14). What Is Transcendental Meditation? Katy Perry's Teacher Explains Hollywood's Favorite Pathway to Inner Peace. Vogue. https://www.vogue.com/article/what-is-transcendental-meditation-katy-perry-lena-dunham-benefits-differences-cost-anxiety
- Roth, B. (2013, October 24). Bob Roth: ‘The tipping point has tipped’. https://tmhome.com/experiences/bob-roth-the-tipping-point-has-tipped
- TMhome. (2013, September 3). Transcendental Meditation by Bob Roth. Transcendental Meditation News & More. https://tmhome.com/books-videos/bob-roth-intro-to-tm-book-review/
- Publisher's Weekly. Strength in Stillness: The Power of Transcendental Meditation. https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-5011-6121-6
- Disruptor Awards. (2017, January 19). Bob Roth - David Lynch Foundation. Retrieved from https://www.disruptorawards.com/2015-honoree-blog/2017/1/19/bob-roth-david-lynch-foundation