Bob Schmidt (baseball)
April 22, 1933|
St. Louis, Missouri
|Died: May 2, 2015
|April 16, 1958, for the San Francisco Giants|
|Last MLB appearance|
|June 8, 1965, for the New York Yankees|
|Career highlights and awards|
Robert Benjamin Schmidt (April 22, 1933 – May 2, 2015) was an American professional baseball player. He played as a catcher in Major League Baseball from 1958 to 1965 for the San Francisco Giants, Washington Senators, Cincinnati Reds, and New York Yankees.
Major League career
As a rookie in 1958, Schmidt was selected to be on the National League team in the 1958 All-Star Game. On August 31, 1958, Schmidt hit a home run and had six runs batted in against future Baseball Hall of Fame member, Sandy Koufax, of the Los Angeles Dodgers, including a first-inning grand slam. In 1961, he was traded to the Cincinnati Reds for catcher Ed Bailey. Schmidt played as a reserve to regular catcher Jerry Zimmerman during the Reds' pennant-winning season of 1961, although he didn't make the post-season roster when the Reds lost to the New York Yankees in the World Series. In 1962 he was traded along with Dave Stenhouse to the Washington Senators for Marty Keough and Johnny Klippstein. Schmidt ended his career with the New York Yankees in 1965.
In a seven-year major league career, Schmidt played in 454 games, accumulating 317 hits in 1,305 at bats for a .243 career batting average along with 39 home runs and 150 runs batted in. Schmidt led the American League in fielding percentage in 1962 while playing for the Washington Senators. He had a career fielding percentage of .988. He holds the Major League record for most putouts in an extra inning game with 22, set on June 22, 1958.
- Bob Schmidt at Baseball Reference
- 1958 All-Star Game at Baseball Reference
- August 31, 1958 Dodgers-Giants box score at Baseball Reference
- 1961 Cincinnati Reds at Baseball Reference Archived May 1, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- 1961 World Series at Baseball Reference
- 1962 American League Fielding Leaders at Baseball Reference
- Baseball Digest, September 1990, Vol. 49, No. 9, ISSN 0005-609X
- June 22, 1958 Giants-Phillies box score at Baseball Digest