Bob Twiggs is a consulting professor emeritus at Stanford University who is responsible, along with Jordi Puig-Suari of California Polytechnic State University, for co-inventing the CubeSat reference design for miniaturised satellites which became an Industry Standard for design and deployment of the satellites.
In 2009, Bob Twiggs became a professor at Morehead State University in an effort to push the PocketQube standard leveraging the universities large aperture (21m) space tracking system, and to help develop a space economy in the state of Kentucky.
Twiggs was the co-inventor of the CubeSat reference design, along with professor Jordi Puig-Suari of California Polytechnic State University. Their goal was to enable graduate students to be able to design, build, test and operate in space a spacecraft with capabilities similar to that of the first spacecraft, Sputnik.
- "Prof. Twiggs". 2009-05-03. Archived from the original on 2009-03-12.
- "Kentucky Space: Prof. Bob Twiggs: CubeSats make space more accessible". 2009-05-03.
- "SEEDMAGAZINE.COM : Revolutionary Minds : The Game Changers : Bob Twiggs + Jordi Puig-Suari". 2009-05-03.
- "CubeSat Workshop Program of Events" (PDF). 2009-08-15.
- "Satellite pioneer joins Morehead State's space science faculty". 2009-10-06.
- "Cubist Movement". Space News. 2012-08-13. p. 30.
When professors Jordi Puig-Suari of California Polytechnic State University and Bob Twiggs of Stanford University invented the cubesat a little more than a decade ago, they never imagined that the tiny satellites would be adopted by universities, companies and government agencies around the world. They simply wanted to design a spacecraft with capabilities similar to Sputnik that graduate student could design, build, test and operate. For size, the professors settled on a 10-centimeter cube because it was large enough to accommodate a basic communications payload, solar panels and a battery.
- Official site
- Bob Twiggs at the Internet Movie Database
- Satellite pioneer joins Morehead State's space science faculty
|This biography of an American academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|