Bonnie MacLean, also known as Bonnie MacLean Graham is an American artist known for her classic rock posters. In the 1960s and 1970s she created posters and other art for the promotion of rock and roll concerts managed by Bill Graham, using the iconic psychedelic art style of the day. MacLean went on to continue her art as a painter focusing mostly of nudes, still lifes and landscapes.
Bonnie MacLean was born in 1939 in Philadelphia, and grew up in nearby Trenton, New Jersey. She graduated from Pennsylvania State University in 1961 with a degree in French. She moved to New York after graduating college, where she worked at the Pratt Institute and took drawing classes in the evenings. MacLean moved to San Francisco in 1963, where she met Bill Graham at her office job at Allis-Chalmers, he had been her boss.
Artist Wes Wilson was the main poster artist for the Fillmore Auditorium when he and Bill Graham had a "falling out" and Wilson quit. MacLean had been painting noticeboards at the auditorium in the psychedelic style, and took up the creation of the posters after Wilson left, creating about thirty posters, most in 1967.
MacLean's posters are included in many museum collections including at the Brooklyn Museum, the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco collection and at the DeYoung museum, A few examples of her posters are in the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art collection.
MacLean married Bill Graham on June 11, 1967. They had one child together, born one year after the marriage, David Wolodia Graham. They divorced in 1975, having being separated for several years. MacLean returned to Pennsylvania in 1972, and in 1981 she married painter Jacques Fabert (1925–2013). She lives in rural Bucks County, Pennsylvania.
- "Bonnie MacLean". The Rock Poster Society. 2014. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- "Bonnie MacLean". SFMOMA. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- "Bonnie MacLean". Fine Arts Museum of San Francisco (FAMSF) Explore the Art. 2016-04-22. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- Morsch, Mike (September 24, 2015). "A True Rock Artist: Rock poster legend Bonnie MacLean has created a new work for the Fillmore Philly". centraljersey.com. Packet Media Group. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- Bonnie MacLean AllMusic Profile
- Graham, Bill; Greenfield, Robert (1992). Bill Graham Presents: My Life Inside Rock And Out. Cambridge, MA: Da Capo Press. ISBN 0306813491.
- "Bonnie MacLean, Poster Artist & Wife of Bill Graham, Commissioned For New Fillmore Work". VVN Music. Retrieved 2017-06-29.