Boog Powell (outfielder)
Powell with the Oakland Athletics in 2017
Born: January 14, 1993|
|April 29, 2017, for the Seattle Mariners|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2017 season)
|Runs batted in||12|
Powell attended Mission Viejo High School in Mission Viejo, California, and Orange Coast College. The Oakland Athletics selected Powell in the 20th round of the 2012 Major League Baseball draft. He made his professional debut that season with the Arizona League Athletics. in 2013 he played for the Vermont Lake Monsters. Powell started 2014 with the Beloit Snappers. In June he was named the MVP of the Midwest League All-Star Game. He was later promoted to the Stockton Ports. In July, Powell was suspended 50 games after testing positive for an amphetamine.
On January 10, 2015, the Athletics traded Powell, John Jaso, and Daniel Robertson to the Tampa Bay Rays for Ben Zobrist and Yunel Escobar. He attended major league spring training in 2015. On November 5, 2015, the Rays traded Powell, Nate Karns, and C. J. Riefenhauser to the Seattle Mariners for Brad Miller, Logan Morrison, and Danny Farquhar. The Mariners added him to their 40-man roster after the season. On June 23, 2016, Powell accepted an 80-game suspension for a second positive test for banned substances. The Mariners promoted him to the major leagues on April 29, 2017, and he made his major league debut against the Cleveland Indians on that day.
Powell is nicknamed "Boog" after the former Baltimore Orioles first baseman and 1970 AL MVP Boog Powell, with whom he shares no relation. His father gave him the nickname as a child in order to avoid confusion, since Powell shares a name with both his father and grandfather.
- On deck: Boog Powell | Sports | napavalleyregister.com
- "Boog Powell - not that one - earns Midwest Classic MVP honors". MLive.com. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- "Oakland Athletics prospect Boog Powell drives in two runs, scores three times in Midwest League All-Star Game - MiLB.com News - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- "Oakland Athletics prospect Boog Powell delivers go-ahead RBI in California League debut for Stockton Ports - MiLB.com News - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- "A's outfielder Powell suspended 50 games - MiLB.com News - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- "A's minor leaguer Herschel Powell suspended for drugs". CSN Bay Area. Retrieved December 11, 2014.
- "MLB A's get Ben Zobrist, Yunel Escobar". ESPN.com. Retrieved January 15, 2015.
- Stecker, Brent (November 5, 2015). "Mariners send Brad Miller, Logan Morrison to Rays in 6-player trade". mynorthwest.com. Retrieved November 5, 2015.
- "Mariners designate pitcher Danny Hultzen". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "M's minor leaguer Powell gets 80-game PED ban". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Mariners recall OF Boog Powell after placing RHP Evan Scribner on disabled list | The News Tribune
- "Seattle Mariners at Cleveland Indians Box Score, April 29, 2017". Baseball Reference.
- Oakland Athletics on Twitter: "#Athletics trade first baseman Yonder Alonso to the Seattle Mariners for outfielder Boog Powell."
- Hall, Alex (September 1, 2018). "Oakland A's call up 8 players in flurry of September moves". Athletics Nation. SB Nation. Retrieved September 1, 2018.
- Slusser, Susan (August 21, 2017). "A's Boog Powell hits 1st HR, will meet the Orioles' Boog Powell on Tuesday". sfgate.com. Retrieved August 22, 2017.