Book of Shadows (album)
|Book of Shadows|
|Studio album by Zakk Wylde|
|Released||June 18, 1996|
|Genre||Southern rock, folk rock|
|Label||Geffen (Original Release)
|Producer||Ron & Howard Albert|
|Zakk Wylde chronology|
Book of Shadows is the first solo album by the heavy metal guitarist Zakk Wylde. The album was first released in 1996, and was reissued by Spitfire in 1999 with the bonus disc containing "Evil Ways" (the Japanese bonus track from the album's original release), "The Color Green", and "Peddlers of Death" (an acoustic version of a track that features on Black Label Society's Sonic Brew).
Unlike his work with Ozzy Osbourne and Black Label Society, here Zakk Wylde shows a different side to his music; an introspective and mostly acoustic style recalling many of the lighter moments from his previous project, Pride & Glory as well as classic folk rock artists such as Neil Young.
Promotional singles were released for "Between Heaven and Hell" and "Way Beyond Empty", the latter of which also had an accompanying music video.
"Throwin' It All Away" was written about the death of Shannon Hoon from the band Blind Melon. Shannon and Zakk had lived together and became close friends a few months before he died of a drug overdose.
All songs written and composed by Zakk Wylde.
- "Between Heaven and Hell" – 3:26
- "Sold My Soul" – 4:52 (feat. Guiggs)
- "Road Back Home" – 5:48
- "Way Beyond Empty" – 5:25
- "Throwin' It All Away" – 5:47
- "What You're Look'n For" – 5:31
- "Dead as Yesterday" – 2:51
- "Too Numb to Cry" – 2:23
- "The Things You Do" – 4:11
- "1,000,000 Miles Away" – 6:29
- "I Thank You Child" – 4:41
- "Evil Ways" – 4:13 (Original Japanese bonus track)
- "The Color Green" – 3:05
- "Peddlers of Death" – 5:51 (later re-arranged and re-recorded with Black Label Society for the Sonic Brew album)
- Zakk Wylde – lead and backing vocals, electric and acoustic guitars, piano, keyboards, harmonica, bass guitar on "1,000,000 Miles Away"
- Joe Vitale – drums, keyboards, piano on "I Thank You Child"
- James LoMenzo – bass guitar
- Additional background vocals on "Way Beyond Empty" by John Sambataro
- Produced and recorded by Ron Albert and Howard Albert
- Mixed by Bob Clearmountain, assisted by Ryan Freeland
- Strings arranged and conducted by Mike Lewis
- Recording engineers: Greg Goldman, Ron Albert, Howard Albert, Eric Gobel, Frank Cesarano
- Mastered by David J. Donnelly
- Personal Manager: Gerry Tolman