University of Borås
|Högskolan i Borås|
|Motto||Vetenskap för profession|
Motto in English
|Science for the professions|
|Rector||Prof. Björn Brorström|
|Appr. 700 (2016), 439 lecturers (55 % PhD)|
|Students||appr. 12.000 (5.655 full-time, 2016)|
|Website||University of Borås|
Faculties and location
The University of Borås is a modern university located in the centre of the city. UB has 13 000 students and 700 employees. Several of our study programmes can only be found here with us and this attracts students from all over Sweden.
As of July 1, 2014 the University is organised within three faculties: Faculty of Textiles, Engineering and Business, Faculty of Caring Science, Work Life and Social Welfare and Faculty of Librarianship, Information, Education and IT.
The University offers courses and study programmes within the areas of: Library and Information Science, Business and Informatics, Fashion and Textile Studies, Behavioural and Education Sciences, Engineering and Health Sciences
Our research is organised in six areas: Business and IT, The Human Perspective in Care, Library and Information Science, Swedish Centre for Resource Recovery, Teacher Education and Education Work and Textiles and Fashion (design and general). We are entitled to award doctoral degrees within three of these areas; Library and Information Science, Resource Recovery, The Human Perspective in Care and Textiles and Fashion (design and general).
Together with the business sphere as well as the public sector we manage education and research of high international quality and social relevance. We call it “Science for the professions” and it influences everything that we do. The administrative support at the University is organised within Professional Services.
University of Borås is a member of the European University Association, EUA. EUA represents and supports higher education institutions in 46 countries, providing them with a unique forum to cooperate and keep abreast of the latest trends in higher education and research policies.
The University of Borås was founded through the Swedish Higher Education reform of 1977. At that time, two educational programmes were already in place: The preschool seminar (based 1966) and the Librarian College (established 1972).
- 1866 Technical School of Weaving (Väfskolan) is founded
- 1936 Technical School of Weaving becomes the Textile Institute
- 1940 West Sweden's College of Nursing is formed
- 1966 The Preschool Teacher Seminar (Förskollärarseminariet) is founded in Borås
- 1970 University courses from Gothenburg University are relocated to Borås
- 1972 The Swedish School of Library and Information Science (Bibliotekshögskolan) is established in Borås
- 1977 University of Borås is founded.
- 1980 Business and IT courses begin
- 1982 The Textile Institute is nationalised and becomes The Swedish School of Textiles
- 1989 Engineering programme begins
- 1991 The municipal hand weaving training becomes a part of the university
- 1995 The university is authorised to confer one-year master degrees
- 1996 Professorship in Library and Information Science is established
- 1999 The regional College of Nursing (Vårdhögskolan) becomes a school at the University of Borås
- 2000 First Professorial Inauguration
- 2004 The university's new library opens
- 2007 The university is authorised to provide master-level education
- 2010 The university is authorised to provide research-level education in Library and Information Science, Resource Recovery and Textiles and Fashion (design and general)
- 2011 The university is certified to ISO 14001
- 2013 The Swedish School of Textiles moves to the new Textile Fashion Centre
- 2014 The first Conferment of Doctoral Degrees
- 2014 Reorganization consisting of a change from six departments (schools) to three faculties: Faculty of Textiles, Engineering and Business, Faculty of Caring Science, Work Life and Social Welfare and Faculty of Librarianship, Information, Education and IT
- 2015 The university has a full range of Master's programmes
- 2016 The university is authorised to provide research-level education in The Human Perspective in Care
- Faculty of Textiles, Engineering and Business
- Faculty of Caring Science, Work Life and Social Welfare
- Faculty of Librarianship, Information, Education and IT
- Ulf Dittmer 1977-1977
- Nils-Bertil Faxén 1977-1989
- Anders Fransson 1989-2001
- Said Irandoust 2001-2005
- Lena Nordholm 2006-2011
- Björn Brorström 2011-