Borys Romanovich Hmyria (Ukrainian: Борис Романович Гмиря; Russian: Борис Романович Гмыря; sometimes spelt as Gmyrya; born 1903 in Lebedyn—died 1969 in Kiev), PAU, was a Ukrainian basso cantante singer of opera and art song.
During World War II, he stayed in Nazi-occupied Poltava where he performed for the Germans. This kind of behavior was considered to be collaboration with enemy by the Soviet authorities, and Hmyria would have been imprisoned and executed were it not for Joseph Stalin's intervention. Hmyria's partner, Valentina Ishchenko, was not so lucky and was exiled to Vorkuta.
Look and listen
- Vzyav by ya bandura (If I played the bandura) - folk song
- Divlyus' ya v nebo (I marvel at the heavens)
- Ya Vas lyubil (I loved you) (Alexander Dargomyzhsky)
- Borys Hmyria at IMDb
- Biography and sound clips on cantabile-subito.de
- Boris Gmyrya «Золотий Фонд української естради»
- Borys Hmyria discography at Discogs