|Industry||Food and beverage|
|Founded||Tuas, Singapore (2003 )|
|Founder||Bernard Allen Utchenik|
The business began in 2003, when former U.S. citizen Bernard "Bernie" Allen Utchenik, also known as "Botak", established the first Botak Jones outlet in Tuas, Singapore, after two failed food ventures. At least a year before the opening of the business, Utchenik was already running large advertisements for Botak Jones in the newspapers.
In 2009, there were eleven Botak Jones locations islandwide in Singapore. In March 2013, Botak Jones was listed as one of the five best "western food stalls" by CEOs' Hawker Choices. Utchenik sold the business prior to mid-2013, when he opened a new restaurant, BJ's American Diner and Grill.
Botak Jones' menu predominantly comprises American cuisine. Select outlets serve only halal food, so as to cater to Muslim consumers. All of Botak Jones' food products are claimed to be free of "chemical flavourings, tenderizers, binders and MSG". Food items are served in relatively large portions, although "Mini-Me" portions are available for order. Botak Jones also offers catering services. In 2009, the company organised an eating contest, where one had to wolf down a "Botak Massive" in the fastest time possible. Winning prizes included a holiday trip overseas.
Botak Jones has also introduced a "Botak Customer Appreciation Card" scheme, by which customers get certain discounts after accumulating a certain amount of food purchases in cash.
- "Botak Jones to become a Singaporean". AsiaOne. 23 August 2009.
- Koh, Natalie (7 March 2013). "Flavourful Cajun chicken at Botak Jones". AsiaOne.
- "Botak that grew and grew". The Straits Times. 28 October 2007. pp. 64–.
- "Best western food stalls from CEOs' Hawker Choices". AsiaOne. 11 March 2013.
- "Botak is now BJ's". Yahoo!. 9 August 2013.
- Yeoh, Wee Teck (19 August 2009). "Mini-Me". AsiaOne.
- "Catering". Botak Jones. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Botak Jones Massive burger eating contest". AsiaOne. 19 June 2009.
- "Membership". Botak Jones. Retrieved 19 August 2013.