theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Archie Mayo|
|Written by||Adaptation & dialogue:
|Based on||Jackdaw's Strut
(1930 novel) by
|Edited by||George Marks|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
Bought is a 1931 American Pre-Code drama film produced and released by Warner Bros. and directed by Archie Mayo. The movie stars Constance Bennett and features Ben Lyon, Richard Bennett and Dorothy Peterson. It is based on the 1930 novel Jackdaw's Strut by Harriet Henry.
Raised in poverty by a never-married mother, Stephanie Dale resents her mother's working-class sensibilities. Dreaming of a rich lifestyle Stephanie gets a job modeling as a modiste shop. Executive David Meyer notices her and is immediately attracted to her. One day Stephanie returns home to find that her mother has died. She moves out and finds an apartment in a good location for meeting celebrities. David and Stephanie get involved and his wealth allows her to indulge in luxuries. They share an interest in books, but she's put off by his age, clothes, and manners. Young, handsome Nick Amory is also interested in Stephanie, but she prefers David's wealth and interests.
One day David notices a photograph of Stephanie's mother and realizes that he is her father--but keeps this information secret as he helps his daughter meet wealthy socialites. At one of the many parties she attends, she meets Charles Carter Jr., immediately falls in love, and tells David she plans to marry Charles. When Nick finally gets a raise he proposes to Stephanie, but she rejects him.
All is going well as Stephanie and Charles plan their wedding--until Charles discovers that Stephanie's parents were never married. He promptly cancels the wedding. This makes Stephanie realize how shallow society people truly are. One day she receives a book from David and visits him to apologize for her past regrettable behavior. While she is browsing through his library, she discovers that Nick has been waiting there to see her. They reconcile and Stephanie finally learns that David is her father. The film ends with David arranging his daughter's wedding to Nick.
The film survives intact and has been broadcast on television and cable. It was transferred unto 16mm film by Associated Artists Productions in the 1950s for broadcast on television.
- Constance Bennett as Stephanie Dale
- Ben Lyon as Nick Amory
- Richard Bennett as David Meyer
- Dorothy Peterson as Mrs. Dale
- Ray Milland as Charles Carter Jr.
- Arthur Stuart Hull as Charles Carter Sr.
- Clara Blandick as Mrs. Sprigg
- Maude Eburne as Mrs. Chauncey
- Doris Lloyd as Mrs. Barry
- Paul Porcasi as Rapello
- Barbara Leonard as Mary Kiernan
- Richard Bennett was Constance Bennett's father in real life. Bought was the only film they made together.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Hall,Mordaunt (August 15, 1931) "'Bought': All is not gold", The New York Times; accessed August 11, 2015.
- Kellow, Brian (2004) The Bennetts: An Acting Family, University Press of Kentucky. pp.149–50, ISBN 9780813123295
- Bought at the American Film Institute Catalog
- Bought at the TCM Movie Database
- Bought at the Internet Movie Database
- Bought at AllMovie