Brecon and Radnor by-election, 1985
The Brecon and Radnor by-election, 1985 was a parliamentary by-election held on 4 July 1985 for the British House of Commons constituency of Brecon and Radnor (in a later redistribution of Parliamentary seats renamed Brecon and Radnorshire, which is its name in 2007).
The seat had become vacant on 9 May 1985, when the constituency's Conservative Member of Parliament (MP), Tom Ellis Hooson, had died at the age of 52. He was a cousin of Emlyn Hooson, the former Liberal Party MP for Montgomery.
Seven candidates were nominated.
1. Richard Arthur Lloyd Livsey was the candidate of the Liberal Party and represented the SDP-Liberal Alliance. He was a former senior lecturer in farm management, born in 1935, who had become a smallholder. He had contested the seat in the 1983 general election.
2. (Frederick) Richard Willey, born 1945, was the Labour candidate. He was the son of veteran Labour MP Fred Willey and a member of Radnor District Council. He was a freelance educational researcher and writer.
3. Christopher John Butler, born 1950, represented the Conservative Party. He was a special adviser to the Secretary of State for Wales and had previously worked at the Conservative Research Department in Wales and the Political Office in 10 Downing Street.
4. Mrs Janet Mary Davies was nominated by Plaid Cymru. She was born in 1938 and was a member of Taff Ely Borough Council.
6. Roger Joseph Everest was an Independent candidate who sought election as a One Nation Conservative.
7. Andre Charles Leopold Genillard was an Independent who campaigned as a Free the World from Multiple Sclerosis candidate. He was a teacher at Mayfield College, Mayfield, and entered the election as an educational exercise for students before electoral deposits substantially increased.
|Plaid Cymru||Janet Davies||435||1.1||-0.6|
|Monster Raving Loony||David Sutch||202||0.5||N/A|
|Independent Conservative||Roger Everest||154||0.4||N/A|
|Liberal gain from Conservative||Swing||N/A|
|Conservative||Tom Ellis Hooson||18,255||48.20||+0.97|
|Labour||Rev. David Richard Morris||9,471||25.00||-15.92|
|Liberal||Richard Arthur Lloyd Livsey||9,226||24.36||+14.66|
|Plaid Cymru||Mrs Sian Rosmari Meredudd||640||1.69||-0.46|
|Independent||Richard George William Pitt Booth||278||0.73||N/A|
- Brecon and Radnorshire constituency
- List of United Kingdom by-elections
- United Kingdom by-election records
- Boothroyd, David. "Results of Byelections in the 1983-87 Parliament". United Kingdom Election Results. Retrieved 2015-09-19.
- Britain Votes/Europe Votes By-Election Supplement 1983-, compiled and edited by F.W.S. Craig (Parliamentary Research Services 1985)