Brenda V. Smith
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Brenda V. Smith is a law professor at American University's Washington College of Law. She is the Co-Director of the Community and Economic Development Law Clinic. Professor Smith is also the Project Director for the United States Department of Justice, National Institute of Corrections Cooperative Agreement for the Project on Addressing Prison Rape. From 2004 to 2009 she served on the National Prison Rape Elimination Commission. Smith was appointed to the Prison Rape commission by current House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. In 1993, Professor Smith was awarded the Kellogg National Leadership Fellowship and, in 1998, inducted into the D.C. Women’s Hall of Fame for her work on behalf of low-income women and children. She graduated magna cum laude from Spelman College in 1980 and from Georgetown University Law Center in 1984.
Professor Smith’s scholarly work and writing focuses on the intersections of gender, crime and sexuality. She is widely published and received the Emmalee C. Godsey Research Award for her scholarship. Publications include Battering, Forgiveness and Redemption; Rethinking Prison Sex: Self -Expression and Safety, Symposium on Sexuality and the Law; Sexual Abuse of Women in Prison: A Modern Corollary of Slavery; Uncomfortable Places, Close Spaces: Theorizing Female Correctional Officers’ Sexual Interactions with Men and Boys in Custody; and Boys, Rape and Masculinity, Reclaiming Male Narrative of Sexual Violence in Custody. Some of her recent speaking engagements include the 2016 McClure Lecture at the University of Mississippi and the Convening on Women and Girls in the Criminal Justice System in June 2016 at the White House.
- "The Commissioners". National Prison Rape Elimination Commission. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- Marshall, Carolyn (August 20, 2005). "Panel on Prison Rape Hears Victims' Chilling Accounts". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- Johnson, Carrie. "Panel Sets Guidelines For Fighting Prison Rape", Washington Post, June 23, 2009, retrieved July 2, 2009.
- "Prison Litigation: A Workshop for Plaintiffs' Attorneys Archived October 21, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.", prisonlitigation.org, George Washington University School of Law, March 2008, retrieved July 2, 2009.
- "Brenda V. Smith". American University Washington College of Law. Retrieved 2016-11-08.
- "Battering, Forgiveness and Redemption". American University Journal of Gender, Social Policy, and the Law. 12. 2003.
- "Rethinking Prison Sex: Self -Expression and Safety, Symposium on Sexuality and the Law". 15 Colum. J. Gender & L. 185 (2006).
- "Sexual Abuse of Women in Prison: A Modern Corollary of Slavery". 33 Fordham Urb. L.J. 571 (2006).
- "Uncomfortable Places, Close Spaces: Theorizing Female Correctional Officers' Sexual Interactions with Men and Boys in Custody". 59 U.C.L.A. L. Rev. 1690 (2012).
- "Boys, Rape and Masculinity, Reclaiming Male Narrative of Sexual Violence in Custody". 29 N.C.L. Rev. 1559 (2015).
- Faculty page, at American University