Brian T. Field
|Born||December 1, 1967|
Brian Field is an American composer of music for chamber groups, choirs and orchestras. He was also an adjunct professor of music at Columbia University from 1995 to 1997 and Seton Hall University in 1997.
Brian Field was raised in Minneapolis. MN and Toledo, OH beginning his musical training at age eight; his first serious compositional efforts at age sixteen. He received his undergraduate degree from Connecticut College, where he was a student of Noel Zahler.
He earned a M.M. in composition at the Juilliard School in New York, where he was a student of Milton Babbitt, subsequently earning his doctorate in composition as a President's Fellow at Columbia University as a student of Mario Davidovsky and George Edwards. His doctoral composition and analysis was a work for violoncello quartet, Metamorphoses Messianiques.
- 2005 Artist Fellowship, Connecticut Commission for the Arts
- 2018 Vienna International Music Competition for orchestral dance suite Shiva Tandava.
- 2018 Benenti Foundation Recording Prize
- 2018 Alvarez Chamber Orchestra, Mullord Award, for "A Letter from Camp" for soprano and orchestra
- 2018 Third Prize, Busan MARU International Music Festival
- 2018 First Prize, Phinney Ridge Youth Orchestra
- 2019 First Prize, Malta International Composition Competition
- 2019 McKnight Foundation/Minnesota Sinfonia Award
- 2019 Special Mention, Concours de composition Les Musicales du Centre
- 2019 Most Distinguished Musician, Special Mention – IBLA Grand Prize
- 2019 Second Prize, Academia Musica Vienna
- 2020 First Degree Award, Golden Key of Vienna International Music Festival
- Tableaux Tartroniques, Album: Contemporary Chamber Music, RMN Classical, release date, April 26, 2019
- String Quartet #1, Album: Playing on the Edge, Navona Records, release date, September 13, 2019
- A Letter from Camp, Album: Dimensions Vol. 2, Navona Records, release date, October 11, 2019
- From the Clash of Race and Creed, Album: Orchestral Masters Vol. 6, Ablaze Records, release date, October 18, 2019
- "Brian Field". Columbia University Department of Music. 22 April 2016.
- "Métamorphoses messianiques /". ResearchGate. Retrieved 2019-09-14.
- "CCT: Commission on Culture & Tourism Awards Fellowships to Resident Artists". www.ct.gov.
- "MuThu - Konzertsaal der Wiener Sängerknaben".
- "The Benenti Foundation | Composition Prize". The Benenti Foundation (in Italian).
- "2018 Competition Winners". Alvarez Chamber Orchestra.
- "부산마루국제음악제 | 2018 FESTIVAL". Bmimf.co.kr.
- Orchestra, Phinney Ridge. "Youth Orchestra in Seattle". Phinney Ridge Youth Orchestra. Retrieved 2019-09-14.
- "RESULTS". Central Academy. 2015-04-29. Retrieved 2019-09-14.
- www.mnsinfonia.org https://www.mnsinfonia.org/2019-20-winter-concert-season. Retrieved 2019-10-12. Missing or empty
- ibla.org http://ibla.org/2019IBLAGRANDPRIZERESULTS.htm. Retrieved 2019-10-12. Missing or empty
- "Contemporary Chamber Music ⋆ RMN Music". RMN Music. Retrieved 2019-09-14.
- "PLAYING ON THE EDGE - Sirius Quartet". www.navonarecords.com. Retrieved 2019-09-14.
- "DIMENSIONS VOL 2". www.navonarecords.com. Retrieved 2019-10-11.
- "ar-00052 Orchestral Masters Vol. 6". Ablaze Records. Retrieved 2019-10-18.