British Sociological Association
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||Chancery Court, Belmont Business Park, Durham DH1 1TW|
|Services||Scholarly and professional society for sociologists in the United Kingdom|
The British Sociological Association (BSA) is a scholarly and professional society for sociologists in the United Kingdom, and was founded in 1951. It publishes the academic journals Sociology, Work, Employment and Society and Cultural Sociology (with SAGE Publications) as well as its membership newsletter Network and a monthly eNewsletter. Formerly, the British Journal of Sociology was the BSA's official journal, but it was replaced by Sociology some years after the latter had been established.
It is a registered charitable company (charity no: 1080235) which states its mission is to "represent the intellectual and sociological interests of our members."
The activities of the BSA are co-ordinated by an Advisory Forum charged with overseeing governance, membership services and publications. Decisions are monitored and ratified by the Board of Trustees, which includes the BSA president.
An office of 12 staff members takes care of the day-to-day running of the Association.
- Lynn Jamieson, 2014–Present
- John Holmwood, 2012–2014
- John Brewer, 2009–2012
- Sue Scott, 2007–2009
- Geoff Payne, 2005–2007
- Joan Busfield, 2003–2005
- John Scott, 2001–2003
- Sara Arber, 1999–2001
- David Morgan, 1997–1999
- Stuart Hall, 1995–1997
- Michèle Barrett, 1993–1995
- John Westergaard, 1991–1993
- Sir Robert Burgess, 1989–1991
- Jennifer Platt, 1987–1989
- Martin Albrow, 1985–1987
- Richard Brown, 1983–1985
- Margaret Stacey, 1981–1983
- John Eldridge, 1979–1981
- Keith Kelsall, 1977–1979
- Sheila Allen, 1975–1977
- Peter Worsley, 1971–1975
- Tom Bottomore, 1969–1971
- T.H. Marshall, 1964–1969
- Barbara Wootton, Baroness Wootton of Abinger, 1959–1964
- Morris Ginsberg, 1955–1957
- A. H. Halsey, A History of Sociology in Britain, Oxford University Press, 2004, p. 183
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 3, 2012. Retrieved January 27, 2015.
- "Sociology: About". Sage.
- "Work, Employment and Society: About". Sage.
- "Cultural Sociology: About". Sage.
- "Network - your newsletter". britsoc.co.uk. British Sociological Association.
- "Issue 118 (free sample copy)" (pdf). Network. BSA Publications Ltd. Winter 2014. ISSN 1742-1616. OCLC 500169831.
- British Sociological Association web site
- Catalogue of the papers of the British Sociological Association at the Archives Division of the London School of Economics
- Catalogue of the BSA Medical Sociology Group archives, held at the Modern Records Centre, University of Warwick
|This article about an organisation in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This sociology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|