Brunello Cucinelli (born September 3, 1953 at Castel Rigone) is an Italian luxury creative director and the chief executive of his eponymous made in Italy brand, Brunello Cucinelli. He donates 20% of his profits through the Brunello Cucinelli Foundation.
Early life and career
Cucinelli grew up in a rural agricultural community outside of Perugia. His childhood home had no electricity or running water. Cucinelli dropped out of engineering school at age 24, choosing instead to read philosophical texts on his own. Cucinelli's first product was cashmere sweaters in bright colors. In 1977 he started making dyed cashmere in a small workshop. He founded Brunello Cucinelli SpA in 1978 with the Italian lira equivalent of about $550; after the initial public offering of Brunello Cucinelli SpA his personal net worth exceeded $1 billion.
Awards and honors
- Leonardo Prize
- Honorary degree in philosophy and human relationships ethics from University of Perugia
- Cavaliere del lavoro – Italian Order of Merit for Labour in 2010
- Premio Guido Carli, 2011
- Pitti Immagine Uomo prize
- Fashion Group International, Fashion Star Honoree Award, October 2014
- Global Economy Prize for “Honorable Merchant” from the Government of Germany
Cucinelli is married to his hometown sweetheart Federica, and the couple have two daughters: Camilla and Carolina. Cucinelli cites the Meditations by Marcus Aurelius as a book that has strongly influenced him. His personal style icons are Gianni Agnelli and John F. Kennedy Jr. On the wall in his office are images of Socrates, Confucius, Constantine, Palladio, Dostoyevsky, Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., Kafka, John F Kennedy, and the Pope. Esquire magazine named him among the top ten best dressed men alive in 2017. Twice each year on the occasion of Florence's Pitti Uomo trade show, Cucinelli hosts a dinner at Villa Palmieri in a small Tuscan town five miles from the city.
- "Brunello Cucinelli affirms double-digit 2014 sales and profit growth". reuters.com. March 10, 2014. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- "Cashmere King Brunello Cucinelli: The Italian fashion designer on style, philosophy and wearing corduroys 24-7". wsj.com. May 27, 2011. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Imran Amed, CEO Talk | Brunello Cucinelli, Founder and Chief Executive, Brunello Cucinelli July 1, 2014
- Mead, Rebecca (March 29, 2010). "The Prince of Solomeo: The cashmere utopia of Brunello Cucinelli". newyorker.com. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Metcalf, Tom (May 9, 2013). "Cucinelli Becomes Billionaire Knitting $1,920 Cardigans". bloomberg.com.
- "Cucinelli: "Io, il cashmere e l'etica del lavoro"". Il Sole 24 Ore.
- "Brunello Cucinelli, cavaliere del lavoro". Federazione nazionale dei cavalieri del lavoro.
- "Premiazione Brunello Cucinelli". Associazione Guido e Maria Carli.
- Brunello Cucinelli: philosophy
- LAURA RYSMAN, How to Host a Relaxed Dinner Party Like an Italian The New York Times 2017/06/15
- Nalley, Richard (April 25, 2013). "Brunello Cucinelli: Life By Design". forbes.com. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- "Brunello Cucinelli's Italian Country Home". harpersbazaar.com. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Om Malik Brunello Cucinelli 2015/04/27
- Best Dressed Men in the World Esquire, May 2017
- Noah Johnson, The 7 Most Stylish Guests At Brunello Cucinelli’s Legendary Pitti Uomo Dinner GQ, JUNE 14, 2017