Brunello Cucinelli (Italian pronunciation: [bruˈnɛllo kutʃiˈnɛlli]; born 3 September 1953 in Castel Rigone) is an Italian luxury creative director and the chief executive of his eponymous made in Italy brand, Brunello Cucinelli. He donates 20% of his profits through the Brunello Cucinelli Foundation. He has been described as a "philosopher-designer".
Early life and education
Cucinelli grew up in a rural agricultural community outside of Perugia. His childhood home had no electricity or running water. Cucinelli dropped out of engineering school at age 24, choosing instead to read philosophical texts on his own.
Cucinelli's first product was cashmere wool sweaters in bright colors. In 1977 he started making dyed cashmere in a small workshop. He founded Brunello Cucinelli SpA in 1978 with the Italian lira equivalent of about $550; after the initial public offering of Brunello Cucinelli SpA his personal net worth exceeded $1 billion.
In 2018 Cucinelli decided to sell 6% of his shares to donate 100 million[clarification needed] to charity. His company gives about 20% of the profits to charity, with which he restored many works of art throughout Umbria, and he bought many lands around Solomeo, the town where he lives and where his company is based.
Awards and honors
- Leonardo Prize
- Honorary degree in philosophy and human relationships ethics from University of Perugia
- Cavaliere del lavoro – Italian Order of Merit for Labour in 2010
- Premio Guido Carli, 2011
- Pitti Immagine Uomo prize
- Fashion Group International, Fashion Star Honoree Award, October 2014
- Global Economy Prize for “Honorable Merchant” from the Government of Germany
- America Award of the Italy-USA Foundation in 2019
- "Brunello Cucinelli affirms double-digit 2014 sales and profit growth". reuters.com. March 10, 2014. Archived from the original on March 31, 2014. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Why Brunello Cucinelli Is Worth the Price (Hint: It’s Not Just the Cashmere) Michael Williams, GQ SEPTEMBER 18, 2017
- "Cashmere King Brunello Cucinelli: The Italian fashion designer on style, philosophy and wearing corduroys 24-7". wsj.com. May 27, 2011. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Imran Amed, CEO Talk | Brunello Cucinelli, Founder and Chief Executive, Brunello Cucinelli July 1, 2014
- Mead, Rebecca (March 29, 2010). "The Prince of Solomeo: The cashmere utopia of Brunello Cucinelli". New Yorker. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- Metcalf, Tom (May 9, 2013). "Cucinelli Becomes Billionaire Knitting $1,920 Cardigans". bloomberg.com.
- "Share capital | Shareholders | Brunello Cucinelli". investor.brunellocucinelli.com. Retrieved November 8, 2021.
- Brunello Cucinelli italiansongs.org March 2014
- "Cucinelli: "Io, il cashmere e l'etica del lavoro"". Il Sole 24 Ore.
- "Brunello Cucinelli, cavaliere del lavoro". Federazione nazionale dei cavalieri del lavoro.
- "Premiazione Brunello Cucinelli". Associazione Guido e Maria Carli. Archived from the original on August 14, 2014. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- Brunello Cucinelli: philosophy
- LAURA RYSMAN, How to Host a Relaxed Dinner Party Like an Italian The New York Times 2017/06/15
- Nalley, Richard (April 25, 2013). "Brunello Cucinelli: Life By Design". forbes.com. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
- "Brunello Cucinelli's Italian Country Home". harpersbazaar.com. Retrieved March 30, 2014.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Brunello Cucinelli|