March 9, 1986 |
Orono, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||233 lb (106 kg; 16 st 9 lb)|
|NHL team (P)
Rockford IceHogs (AHL)
|NHL Draft||41st overall, 2004
Bryan Bickell (born March 9, 1986) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player currently under contract for the Chicago Blackhawks of the National Hockey League (NHL). He won the Stanley Cup with the Blackhawks in 2010, 2013 and 2015.
Bickell grew up playing minor hockey in his hometown of Orono, Ontario for the Leafs rep program before playing AAA for the Central Ontario Wolves organization.
For his Bantam season, Bickell was moved to the Toronto Red Wings of the GTHL for one season before being drafted in the 2nd round (36th overall) in the 2002 OHL Priority Selection by the Ottawa 67's. Bickell was a member of the Bantam All-Ontario champions Toronto Red Wings with future Chicago Blackhawk teammate Dave Bolland.
Bickell was drafted 41st overall in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft by the Chicago Blackhawks from the Ottawa 67's of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). After his junior career, Bickell was signed to a 3-year entry level contract with the Blackhawks on June 5, 2006. He made his professional debut with the Norfolk Admirals at the beginning of the 2006–07 season.
Bickell was recalled to the Blackhawks at the end of the 2006–07 season and scored his first NHL goal in his NHL debut on April 5, 2007, against the Detroit Red Wings in a 3-2 win. Bickell spent the majority of the 2007–08 season with the Rockford IceHogs of the AHL. He was recalled by the Blackhawks on March 2, 2008, and played in four games with the Blackhawks.
On June 9, 2010, the Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup. Bickell dressed in 4 playoff games and was a plus-3 rating over this time with one assist. Bickell received a ring from the team, but his name does not appear on the Stanley Cup for that particular year.
In the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs, Bickell finished with 17 points, scoring 9 goals including the game-tying goal in the Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final. His strong play is credited as one of the major factors behind the Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup that year.
On June 30, 2013, Bickell re-signed with Chicago for four years, $16 million.
The Blackhawks initially waived Bickell at the beginning of the 2015-16 NHL season, but reinserted him into their starting line-up after he went unclaimed. After going score-less in the first eight games on the season, the Blackhawks demoted Bickell to their AHL affiliate, the Rockford IceHogs. The Blackhawks recalled Bickell from Rockford on December 6. The Blackhawks placed Bickell on waivers again on January 6, 2016. Bickell cleared waivers and was demoted to back to the AHL.
On August 3, 2013, Bickell married his longtime girlfriend, Amanda. They have a baby girl, Makayla.
|2000–01||Toronto Red Wings||GTHL||65||78||62||140||20||—||—||—||—||—|
|2001–02||Toronto Red Wings||GTHL||65||31||41||72||76||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honors
- 2010, 2013 & 2015 Stanley Cup Champion
- "Blackhawks end struggles against Red Wings in shoot-out". areyouwatchingthis.com. 2007-04-06. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- "Bickell and Dowell recalled to Chicago". icehogs.com. 2008-03-02. Retrieved 2008-11-16.
- "Bryan Bickell re-signs with Blackhawks." CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2013-Jun-30.
- Leahy, Sean (2015-11-02). "Blackhawks demote struggling Bryan Bickell to AHL". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 2015-11-02.
- Meyer, Tracey (2015-12-06). "Blackhawks recall Bryan Bickell from Rockford". ComCast SportsNet Chicago. Retrieved 2015-12-06.
- Myers, Tracey (2016-01-16). "Blackhawks: Bryan Bickell reportedly on waivers again". CSN Chicago. Retrieved 2016-01-17.
- "Bryan Bickell marries fiancee Amanda". CSN Chicago. 2013-08-05. Retrieved 2013-08-05.