|Full name||Bryce Edward McGain|
25 March 1972 |
Mornington, Victoria, Australia
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Bowling style||Right-arm leg-break and googly|
|Only Test (cap 410)||19 March 2009 v South Africa|
|Domestic team information|
|Source: CricketArchive, 1 February 2013|
Bryce Edward McGain (born 25 March 1972) is a former Australian cricketer who played a single Test match for the Australian national cricket team, as well as domestically for Victoria. McGain made his first-class debut in 2002 against New South Wales at the Sydney Cricket Ground. However, due to other Victorian spinners—Shane Warne and Cameron White—he was unable to hold down a place in the side. He worked in the IT section of a bank and played Victorian Premier Cricket for Prahran Cricket Club before being called up to the Victorian side again.
McGain became a regular for Victoria in the 2007–08 season and was impressive, taking 38 wickets at 34.78. This led spin mentor Terry Jenner to suggest that McGain could be selected in the Australian Test team for the 2007–08 home series against India. Although this predicted selection did not eventuate, McGain was later selected for the 2008–09 four-Test tour of India after playing for Australia A in India in September 2008. During this tour, he got the opportunity to play a 2-day tour match against Rajasthan Cricket Association XI, but he did not get to bat or bowl. Unfortunately for him, he had to return home due to a shoulder injury after having only played in this one tour match.
McGain finally made his Test debut at the age of 36 at Newlands in Cape Town in the third Test against South Africa in March 2009. He had a far from favourable Test debut, conceding 0/149 from 18 overs. The South African batsmen targeted him for attack and hit many sixes from his bowling. He made two in the first innings and was run out for a duck in the second.
- First-class Bowling in Each Season by Bryce McGain, Cricket World, 12 September 2008
- Terry Jenner says Bryce McGain worth the risk Herald Sun. Retrieved 13 December 2007
- Rajasthan Cricket Association XI v Australians, Cricket Archive, retrieved 28 March 2009
- McGain ruled out of India tour, Cricket God, 4 October 2008
- McGain injures his shoulder., Cricket With balls, 4 September 2008
- "Bryce McGain to make Test debut". Herald Sun. 19 March 2009. Archived from the original on 22 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-19.