Burlingame State Park
|Burlingame State Park|
|Rhode Island State Park|
|Named for: Edwin A. Burlingame|
|Elevation||36 ft (11 m) |
|Area||3,100 acres (1,255 ha)|
|Management||Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management Division of Parks & Recreation|
|Website: WWW.BOUND4BURLINGAME.COM |
Burlingame State Park and Campground is a public recreation area located in the town of Charlestown, Rhode Island. The state park's 3,100 acres (1,300 ha) offer camping, hiking, and water activities on Watchaug Pond.
Following the lead of the Audubon Society, which in 1927 had established the Kimball Wildlife Sanctuary, a 29-acre (12 ha) property on the southern shore of Watchaug Pond, the State Parks Commission acquired land around the pond beginning in 1930. The park was named for the commission's longtime chair, Edwin A. Burlingame, and opened as a campground in 1934. During the 1930s, it was the primary base of operations for the Rhode Island activities of the Civilian Conservation Corps.
Mammals observed at the park include deer, rabbits, muskrat, mink, foxes, otters and weasels. Up to 80 bird species nest in the park, and many more pass through during migration season. Reptiles and amphibians include frogs, salamanders, Eastern box turtles and the non-venomous northern water snake.
Activities and amenities
The park features camping, picnicking, swimming, fishing, and a boat-launch ramp. Hiking trails connect the campground and the Kimball Wildlife Sanctuary. The campground's 3,100 acres (1,300 ha) include 713 campsites (including 20 cabins and one shelter), a camp store, freshwater beach, and canoe rentals. Educational programs are held at the sanctuary throughout the year. The park's northern area along the Pawcatuck River is used primarily for hunting.
- "Burlingame State Park". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Burlingame State Park and Campground". State of Rhode Island Division of Parks & Recreation. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- "Kimball Wildlife Sanctuary". Audubon Society of Rhode Island. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- "History: Burlingame State Park & Campground". State of Rhode Island Division of Parks & Recreation. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- "Burlingame State Park: Campground Details". Welcome to RI State Parks. Rhode Island State. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- BOUND4BURLINGAME.com is the best source for 360 Degree videos, photos and all information on Burlingame State Campground
- Burlingame State Park and Campground Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management Division of Parks & Recreation