Death Penalty (album)
|Studio album by Witchfinder General|
|Recorded||10–11 April 1982|
|Studio||Metro Sound Studios, Mansbury, England|
|Genre||Heavy metal, doom metal|
|Witchfinder General chronology|
|Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal||10/10|
Death Penalty is the debut studio album by British heavy metal band Witchfinder General. It was released in 1982 on Heavy Metal Records. The album received some criticism for the cover photograph, which featured topless model Joanne Latham. The photograph had been taken in the yard of St Mary the Blessed Virgin Church in Enville, Staffordshire, without the permission of the local Reverend. The album was originally released on LP and picture disc and was later reissued on CD. Pictured on the cover is Phil Cope, Zeeb Parkes, Graham Ditchfield and a member of their road crew. While Peter Hinton is credited with producing this recording, the writers Phil Cope and Zeeb Parkes always felt the credit should have gone to the engineer Robin George.
All tracks by Zeeb Parkes and Phil Cope.
- "Invisible Hate" – 6:05
- "Free Country" – 3:10
- "Death Penalty" – 5:35
- "No Stayer" – 4:25
- "Witchfinder General" – 3:51
- "Burning a Sinner" – 3:28
- "R.I.P." – 4:04
- Zeeb Parkes – vocals
- Phil Cope – guitars, bass (bass credited as Woolfy Trope)
- Graham Ditchfield – drums
- Pete Hinton – producer
- Robin George – engineer
- Tim Young – mastering at C.B.S. Studios
- Joanne Latham – cover model
- "Phil Cope interview". Witchfinder General Official Website. November 2004. Retrieved 2014-05-07.
- Rivadavia, Eduardo. Death Penalty at AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-01-15.
- Popoff, Martin (1 November 2005). The Collector's Guide to Heavy Metal: Volume 2: The Eighties. Burlington, Ontario, Canada: Collector's Guide Publishing. pp. 416–417. ISBN 978-1-894959-31-5.
- Dome, Malcolm (19 November 1982). "Witchfinder General – 'Death Penalty'" (JPG). Kerrang! (29). Retrieved 2014-05-07.
- "Updates : The return of Joanne Latham". Metal Gods.net. 1 March 2005. Archived from the original on 10 May 2006. Retrieved 2014-05-07.