Bust a Move (song)
|"Bust a Move"|
|Single by Young MC|
|from the album Stone Cold Rhymin'|
|B-side||"Got More Rhymes"
"The Fastest Rhyme-My Name Is Young"
|Released||May 22, 1989|
|Young MC singles chronology|
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
"Bust a Move" is a song by British-American rapper Young MC. It won the 1990 Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance. It appeared on his album Stone Cold Rhymin' and was his biggest hit, reaching number 7 on the Billboard Hot 100 and topping the charts in Australia. The song stayed on the Billboard 100 for 39 weeks and 20 weeks in the top 40 alone.
The song is built on a sample of "Found a Child" by the group Ballin' Jack. The drums, produced by a Linn drum, are sampled from the song “Radio-Activity” by RoyalCash. The breakdown segment contains a combination of beats sampled from the songs "Scorpio" by Dennis Coffey and the Detroit Guitar Band, and "Daytime Hustler" by Bette Midler. Bust a Move also featured guest vocals by Crystal Blake and bass guitar by Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea, both of whom also appeared in the video.
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||50|
|Canada Dance (RPM)||1|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||17|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||14|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||25|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||73|
|US Billboard Hot 100||7|
|US Billboard Hot Dance Music/Club Play Singles||7|
|US Billboard Hot Dance Music/Maxi-Singles Sales||5|
|US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks||9|
|US Billboard Hot Rap Singles||2|
In popular culture
Young MC landed a cameo role in the Jason Reitman 2009 film Up in the Air. Young played himself, performing Bust a Move at a software convention and the characters Ryan (played by George Clooney) and Alex (Vera Farmiga), who are among the audience, are seen shouting the chorus.
In the television show My Name Is Earl, the song is regularly used as Randy's favourite party song.
- "Bust a move". faqs.org. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- RIAA Gold & Platinum Searchable Database - Young M.C. singles. RIAA.com. Retrieved March 5, 2011.
- "Australian-charts.com – Young M.C. – Bust a Move". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Young M.C. – Bust a Move" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- Canadian dance peak
- Canadian top singles peak
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Young M.C. search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Young M.C. – Bust a Move". Top 40 Singles.
- "Young MC". Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- Up in the air (I) (2009) Soundtracks at the Internet Movie Database