Carl Borivoj Presl
Carl Borivoj Presl
|Died||2 October 1852 (aged 58)|
|Alma mater||Charles University|
|Author abbrev. (botany)||C.Presl|
Carl Borivoj Presl (Czech: Karel Bořivoj Presl; 17 February 1794 – 2 October 1852) was a Czech botanist.
Presl lived his entire life in Prague, and was a professor of botany at the University of Prague (1833–52). He made an expedition to Sicily in 1817, and with his brother, published a "Flora bohemica" titled "Flora čechica: indicatis medicinalibus, oeconomicis technologicisque plantis" in 1819.
His older brother Jan Svatopluk Presl was also a noted botanist; the journal Preslia of the Czech Botanical Society is named in their honor. The botanical genera Preslaea Mart., 1827 from the family Boraginaceae, (now a synonym of Euploca Nutt. ) and Preslia Opiz, 1824 of the family Lamiaceae (it is also now a synonym of Woodsia R.Br.) are dedicated to the two brothers. In 2006, botanists (Urb. & Gilg) Weigend published Presliophytum, a genus of flowering plants from South America, belonging to the family Loasaceae which also honours Carl Borivoj Presl's name.
He spent nearly 15 years producing the exsiccata "Reliquiae Haenkeanae" (published from 1825 to 1835), a work based on botanical specimens collected in the Americas by Thaddaeus Haenke.
- Author abbreviation
- Taxa named by Carl Borivoj Presl (C.Presl)
- Jan Svatopluk Presl (J.Presl, 1791–1849) — Czech chemist/mineralogist/botanist, and older brother of Carl Presl.
- ^ a b BHL Taxonomic literature : a selective guide to botanical publications
- ^ Kifissia, Greece: Goulandris Natural History Museum, J.Makris (1984) Paeonia mascula
- ^ Google Books Flora čechica: indicatis medicinalibus, oeconomicis technologicisque plantis
- ^ Preslia The Journal of the Czech Botanical Society
- ^ "Preslaea Mart. | Plants of the World Online". Plants of the World Online. Kew Science. Retrieved 21 November 2021.
- ^ "Preslia Opiz | Plants of the World Online". Plants of the World Online. Kew Science. Retrieved 21 November 2021.
- ^ "Presliophytum (Urb. & Gilg) Weigend | Plants of the World Online". Plants of the World Online. Kew Science. Retrieved 28 May 2021.
- ^ Google Books Biographical Dictionary of American and Canadian Naturalists edited by Keir Brooks Sterling
- ^ International Plant Names Index. C.Presl.
- Carl Bořivoj Presl: "Reliquiae Haenkeanae : seu descriptiones et icones plantarum, quas in America meridionali et boreali, in insulis Philippinis et Marianis collegit Thaddaeus Haenke". J.G. Calve, Prague, 1825 to 1835.
- "Flora sicula, exhibens plantas vasculosas in Sicilia aut sponte crescentes aut frequentissime cultas, secundum systema naturale digestas", 1826.
- "Symbolae botanicae, sive, Descriptiones et icones plantarum novarum aut minus cognitarum", 1832.
- "Catalogue of Ferns: After the Arrangement of C. Sprengel", 1841; Whittaker and Company, 1841.
- Hymenophyllaceae, 1845 – Monograph on Hymenophyllaceae.
- "Supplementum Tentaminis Pteridographiae", 1847.
- Die Gefässbündel im Stipes der Farrn, 1848 – The vascular bundles in the stipes of ferns.
- ^ Botanicus Reliquiae Haenkeanae
- ^ Google Search publications)
- ^ Google Search publications
- Media related to Carl Borivoj Presl at Wikimedia Commons
- Works by or about Carl Borivoj Presl at Wikisource
- Data related to Karel Bořivoj Presl at Wikispecies
- Czech botanists
- Czech mycologists
- Taxa named by Carl Borivoj Presl
- 1794 births
- 1852 deaths
- 19th-century Austrian botanists
- Austrian mycologists
- Scientists from Prague
- Austrian people of Czech descent
- 19th-century Czech scientists
- Burials at Vyšehrad Cemetery
- European botanist stubs
- Czech scientist stubs