C. Douglas Deane
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (February 2009)|
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
C. Douglas Deane O.B.E., M.Sc., F.L.S. Ornithologist.
C. Douglas Deane was formerly the Deputy Director and the Keeper of Natural Science in the Ulster Museum in Belfast, Northern Ireland. He served in the Royal Air Force during the war. He also was a member of various Government committees and other organisations relating to the natural history of Ulster and wrote regular articles in the Irish Times, Belfast Telegraph and the Belfast News Letter (Deane, 1983). He joined the staff of the Museum and retired after almost forty-five years. He specialised in birds and mammals of Ireland, and was a founder member of the Ulster Society for the Protection of Birds (later RSPB) and had a keen interest in the local history and naturalists. He received an honorary degree of Master of Science from the Queen's University of Belfast in 1974. He retired in 1977 and was presented with an O.B.E. on Her Majesty's visit to Northern Ireland.
- Deane,C.Douglas. 1951. Hare breeding beneath a hut. Ir. Nat. J. 10: 197.
- Deane,C.Douglas. 1952. The "black" rat in the north of Ireland. Ir. Nat. J. 10: 296 - 298.
- Deane,C.Douglas. 1952. Pine martens in Counties Tyrone and Down. Ir. Nat. J. 10: 303.
- Deane, C.Douglas. 1955. Note on myxomatosis in hares. Bulletin of the Mammal Society of the British Isles. 3: 20.
- Deane, C.Douglas. 1955. Myxo empties the burrows - but what next: Belfast Telegraph 5 April.
- Deane,C.Douglas. 1962a. Life of the wild. Belfast Telegraph, 19 September.
- Deane,C.Douglas. 1962b. Irish Golden Eagles and a link with Scotland. Br. Birds, 55: 272-274.
- Deane,C.Douglas. 1964. The outdoor world. An Irish naturalist. The Irish Times 6 February: 10.
- Deane, C.Douglas. 1964. Introduced mammals in Ireland. Bulletin of the Mammal Society of the British Isles. 21: 2.
- Deane, C.Douglas. 1971. Mammals of Strangford Lough. In Anon (Editor) Strangford Lough. 22 - 23. National Trust. Belfast.
- Deane,C.Douglas. Northern Ireland and its birds. in Ruttledge, R.F. 1966. Ireland's Birds. H.F. & G. Witherby Ltd.
- Deane,C.Douglas. 1973. Still no respite for the badger. News Letter (Belfast). 4 December.
- Deane,C.Douglas. 1974. Mystery of the mice and an island. News Letter. (Belfast). 24 August.
- Deane,C.Douglas. 1974. A rare type of man - and his friend. Belfast News Letter 12 August.
- Deane,C.Douglas. 1974. Airport hares have taken flight. Belfast News Letter. 19 October.
- Deane,C.Douglas. 1974. On the wild kingdom of Great Saltee. Belfast News Letter 7 December.
- Deane,C.Douglas. 1975. Upside-down world of the hairy armed bat. Belfast News Letter. 8 February.
- Deane,C.Douglas. 1976. Let's be fair to the hare. Belfast News Letter. 20 March.
- Deane,C.Douglas. 1983. The Ulster Countryside. Century Books. Belfast.
- Deane,C.Douglas and O'Gorman, F. 1969. The spread of feral mink in Ireland. Ir. Nat. J., 16: 198-202.