CCI (Cascade Cartridge Inc.), based in Lewiston, Idaho, manufactures rimfire ammunition, centerfire handgun ammunition, and primers for reloaders and industrial power loads. CCI made the first mini-mag rimfire ammunition in 1963, and in 1975 developed the Stinger, a high velocity .22 Long Rifle product. Today, CCI makes a wide range of rimfire and snake shot ammunition.
CCI was founded by Dick Speer (brother of Vernon Speer, who founded Speer Bullets) in the early 1950s. Arvid Nelson was a partner in the business. The firm's first shipment was part of a defense contract to make primers using chlorate FA-70. CCI later moved on to much safer formulas for sporting ammunition. CCI provided the first reliable supply of primers for hobby reloaders.
CCI purchased 17 acres of land next to the Lewiston Gun Club. When the gun club moved, CCI purchased that land as well. As of 2020, CCI's plant was still located on this land.
In early 2020, CCI introduced 14 new products.
CCI/Speer sells the Gold Dot line, component bullets and handgun ammunition using a bonded copper-plated hollow point bullet. Plated bullets were originally sold only for handloading as a cheap substitute for jacketed bullets.
CCI sells the MeatEater line of hunting ammunition for small game. CCI partnered with Steven Rinella of MeatEater to produce and market this product line. The MeatEater line of ammunition includes Copper-22, Mini-Mag, and Maxi-Mag variants.
- https://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/products.aspx CCI ammunition product list
- Staff. "CCI Ammunition". Officer. Endeavor Business Media. Retrieved 2 November 2020.
- ATK Commercial Products. "CCI/Speer".
- "ATK Company Overview" (PDF). ATK. Retrieved 21 December 2012.[dead link]
- Staff. "CCI Ammunition". Officer. Endeavour Business Media. Retrieved 22 September 2020.
- Eger, Chris. "CCI DELIVERS OVER A DOZEN NEW RIMFIRE LOADS FOR 2020". Guns.com.
- "Speer Gold Dot description". Archived from the original on February 3, 2009. Retrieved May 29, 2009.
- Patent 5,079,814, for a bonded plated hollow point bullet (the Speer Gold Dot)
- Grant, Jim (31 July 2020). "CCI Introduces a New Line of MeatEater Series Rimfire Ammunition". AmmoLand. AmmoLand.com. Retrieved 26 August 2020.