CEG TEK International
|Industry||Digital media, Anti-piracy, online piracy tracking|
|Headquarters||Beverly Hills, California, United States|
|Jon Nicolini (CTO)
Kyle Reed (COO)
|Services||Copyright infringement detection and remediation|
CEG TEK International (formerly Copyright Enforcement Group) is a Los Angeles-based copyright monetization firm. The company also conducts and releases studies about piracy of motion pictures, music, and other forms of digital media.
CEG TEK International primarily represents motion picture studios, including Nu Image and Millennium Films, and protects their digital content online. The company monitors P2P file sharing. Electronic notices are sent to Internet Service Providers and their customers, which offer a release of liability in exchange for a settlement amount. CEG TEK International claims users who pay for their infringement are less likely to share illegal content in future.
It has been claimed that CEG TEK's activities can be classified as copyright trolling. Some claim that CEG TEK abuses the system by which DMCA copyright infringement letters are distributed by internet service providers. Opponents to CEG TEK's practices claim that these letters are more than notification letters but are instead designed to intimidate and extort money from internet users regardless of their actual activities online. Proponents of this claim believe this is done in order to generate profit for CEG TEK and their clients. Those who question the business practices of CEG TEK often note that they have not opened any Federal copyright infringement cases. Some internet users also claim that CEG TEK targets individuals with additional letters demanding further settlement demands once funds are initially paid.
- "Jon Nicolini: CTO of CEG TEK.". LinkedIn.
- "Kyle Reed: COO of CEG TEK.". LinkedIn.
- Andrew Wallenstein (28 April 2014). "Most Pirated TV Shows, Networks Dominated by Broadcasters". Variety. Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- Trent Moore (28 April 2014). "Not just Thrones: Genre shows dominate Top 10 most torrented TV shows list". blastr. Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- Carlos Alberto Sánchez (30 April 2014). "Las series de HBO, con Juego de Tronos a la cabeza, son las más descargadas del mundo" (in Spanish). ADSL Zone. Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- Eriq Gardner (9 Sep 2014). "Expendables 3 Torrent Downloaders Now Being Targeted for Copyright Infringement". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- Ted Johnson (17 Sep 2014). "Producers Threaten Individual Expendables 3 Pirates With Legal Action". Variety. Retrieved 17 Nov 2014.
- "Canada begins receiving CEG-TEK DMCA settlement letters". Cashman Law Firm. 12 March 2015. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Copyright Enforcement Group (CEG-TEK)". Fight Copyright Trolls. 18 April 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "CEG-TEK, Rightscorp., Etc.". 15 Feb 2015. Retrieved 17 May 2015.