|Headquarters||Charlottesville, Virginia, United States|
|Mark Lazberger, CFA|
|Margaret Franklin, CFA|
|Financial Analysts Journal|
|USD $282.75 million (2021)|
|Expenses||USD $304.43 million (2021)|
|Association for Investment Management and Research (AIMR)|
CFA Institute is a global, not-for-profit professional organization that provides investment professionals with finance education. It aims to promote the standards in ethics, education, and professional excellence in the global investment industry.
The organization offers the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation, the Certificate in Investment Performance Measurement (CIPM), the Certificate in ESG Investing, and until December 2021, the Investment Foundations Certificate. It provides continuing education conferences, seminars, webcasts, and publications to allow members and other participants to stay current on developments in the investment industry. CFA Institute also oversees the CFA Institute Research Challenge for university students and the Research Foundation of CFA Institute.
CFA Institute is headquartered in Charlottesville, Virginia, United States, with additional offices in New York City, Washington, D.C., London, Hong Kong, Mumbai, Beijing, Shanghai and Abu Dhabi. The current President and CEO is Margaret Franklin.
In 1947, four financial analyst societies—Boston, Chicago, New York, and Philadelphia — cooperated for the purpose of promoting the exchange of ideas and supporting the welfare of their profession. In 1962, some of these financial analysts created the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation and established a code of conduct. In 1963, the profession was formalized when 284 candidates sat for the first CFA exam and 268 CFA charters were awarded. In 2004, the Association for Investment Management and Research voted to change its name to the CFA Institute.
In February 2019, The United States Department of Justice announced it will fine CFA Institute more than $320,000 for discriminating against qualified American workers by hiring temporary foreign workers through the H-1B visa program.
Given the COVID-19 pandemic, CFA Institute has cancelled the majority of the examinations around the world due to the lack of examination facilities in 2020. From 2021 onwards, all examinations were shifted to computer-based testing for the three levels of the CFA program.
In March 2021, CFA Institute launched the Certificate in ESG Investing due to the increasing importance of environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) factors in socially responsible investing.
- Huang, Daniel (10 June 2014). "CFA Institute Chief Departs after Disclosing Relationship". The Wall Street Journal.
- "Annual Report - Fiscal Year 2021" (PDF). Annual Report - Fiscal Year 2021. CFA Institute. Retrieved 29 April 2022.
- "Executive Committee". CFA Institute. CFA Institute. Retrieved 24 August 2021.
- Kagan, Julia. "CFA Institute". Investopedia. Dotdash. Retrieved 26 October 2020.
- "CFA Institute Programs". CFA Institute. Retrieved 2022-05-10.
- "CFA Institute Investment Foundations® Program". CFA Institute. Retrieved 2022-05-10.
- "CFA Institute Research Foundation". CFA Institute. Retrieved 7 July 2019.
- "Research Challenge". CFA Institute. Retrieved 7 July 2019.
- "Office Locations". CFA Institute. CFA Institute. Retrieved 26 October 2020.
- "From Practice to Profession: A history of the Financial Analysts Federation and the investment profession" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-06-16. Retrieved 2014-11-08.
- "CFAI Annual Report 2018". CFA Institute. 2018. Retrieved 2 June 2019.
- "AIMR Changes Name to CFA Institute : Educalc.net". Archived from the original on 2017-10-06. Retrieved 2014-11-08.
- Binder, John (2019-02-27). "DOJ Fines Virginia Firm for Hiring Foreigners over Qualified Americans". U.S. Tech Workers. Retrieved 2019-06-02.
- Chen, Elaine. "CFA schedule is disrupted again with December exams canceled". BNN Bloomberg. Bell Media. Retrieved 26 October 2020.
- "Updated: Credentialing bodies move exams online". Investment Executive. Newcom Media Inc. Retrieved 26 October 2020.
- Nauman, Billy (15 March 2021). "CFA offers certification in sustainable investing". The Financial Times Ltd. Financial Times. Retrieved 16 March 2021.