The camp was built during the Korean War and named for the Spanish word for clay oven or kiln. Camp Horno initially consisted of Quonset huts that were typical housing for Marines until the 1970s. In 2008 four-story, 170-room barracks were built as part of a facilities renovation project. Parts of Katy Perry's "Part of Me" music video where shot at Camp Horno in 2012. Camp Horno is the frequent site of many Marine ceremonies due to the history of the 1st Marine Regiment and the unit's frequent deployments to combat zones. In January 2014, the regiment celebrated its 100th anniversary at the camp during a ceremony directed by Col. Peter Baumgarten, the regiment's commanding officer and a Marine whose first tour of duty was at Camp Horno in 1988.
In February, 2004, Kimberley D. O'Neal was found shot to death in a park at Camp Horno.Gunnery Sgt. Archie O'Neil Jr. of 2nd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment (based in Camp Horno) was arrested before deploying with his unit to Kuwait.
- "MCB CAMP PENDLETON History". www.mybaseguide.com. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- "New Camp Pendleton barracks make Marines at home". www.leatherneck.com. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- "Marines say Katy Perry video is good publicity". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- "1st Marines celebrate 100 years". The Orange County Register. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- "Wife of Marine found shot to death | The San Diego Union-Tribune". www.sandiegouniontribune.com. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- "Murder trial set to begin;". Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- "Fires claim hundreds of acres on Camp Pendleton". Stars and Stripes. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- "Crews say they have upper hand on base fire | The San Diego Union-Tribune". www.sandiegouniontribune.com. Retrieved 2016-02-29.