Type of site
|Role-playing video game|
|Alexa rank||106,919 (November 2013[update])|
The game revolves around candies, which players begin to receive at a rate of one per second; however this number may increase with further gameplay. Gameplay appears very sparse initially, but options appear as the player performs actions. For example, candy can be eaten or used to purchase items. Players can eventually undertake quests and kill monsters in order to gain candy. By performing quests, the player obtains items which can be accessed in their inventory.
Kotaku noted that "Candy Box's curious combination of ASCII 'graphics', role-playing elements and resource management has caught on with hundreds of thousands." According to Mashable, the "charming ASCII art style belies a very deep game that can quickly get addictive". PC Gamer editor Shaun Prescott found the game particularly addictive, describing it as "Cow Clicker as RPG." Justin Davis of IGN stated that, together with A Dark Room and Cookie Clicker, Candy Box has become one of the most well-known incremental games. Rock, Paper, Shotgun named Candy Box number 21 of The 50 Best Free Games on PC in 2016.
- "Aniwey.net Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-05-07.
- "Candy Box Browser Game Features Lots of Delicious Candies". Geekosystem. 3 May 2013.
- Matulef, Jeffrey (2013-10-25). "Surreal ASCII-based RPG sequel Candy Box 2 is out now". Eurogamer.
- source code on candybox2.net
- Prescott, Shaun (2013-05-02). "Candies is an ASCII browser game about questing and candy". PC Gamer.
- Good, Owen (2013-05-03). "Candy Box: A Game That's Simple, Sweet, and Strangely Compelling". Kotaku.
- Stark, Chelsea (2013-05-03). "Questing Meets Candy in This Odd ASCII Browser Game". Mashable.
- Davis, Justin (2013-10-10). "Inside Cookie Clicker and The Idle Game Movement". IGN.
- the-50-best-free-games-on-pc on Rock, Paper, Shotgun (2016)
- Surreal ASCII-based RPG sequel Candy Box 2 is out now - Will occupy a tab in your browser for ages. by Jeffrey Matulef on eurogamer.net (25/10/2013)
- Browser-based clicker Candy Box 2 launches tomorrow by Megan Farokhmanesh on Polygon.com (Oct 23, 2013)
- Ye New Sweet Shoppe: Candy Box 2 Is Out Now by Graham Smith on Rock, Paper, Shotgun (October 24th, 2013)
- Play This Right Now: Candy Box 2 by Nate Ralph on Pcworld.com (Oct 24, 2013)