Canossa Academy Lipa
|This article does not cite any sources. (September 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Our Lady of the Rosary Academy (OLRA)|
SMART Canossians with a Blue HeartChristian Person Sharers of God's Love
|Affiliation||Roman Catholic, Canossian|
|President||Sr. Magdalena H. Larcia|
|Location||Lipa City, Batangas, Philippines
|Colors||Blue and white|
Canossa Academy of Lipa City is one of the four schools owned and administered by the Canossian Sisters in the Philippines. These sisters belong to the religious congregation called the Canossian Daughters of Charity, which originated in Verona, Italy and whose members are spread all over the world. They came to the Philippines in 1954 from the Canossian Province of Hongkong to open apostolic mission where they are needed. They opened a school in Sta. Rosa, Laguna in 1954, San Pablo City in 1955 and Calamba, Laguna in 1964.
In Lipa City, the present school was first called Our Lady of the Rosary Academy (OLRA). In 1967, upon the invitation of the late Archbishop Alejandro Olalia, the Canossian Sisters took over the administration
St. Magdalene of Canossa
She was born into the family of the Marquises of Canossa in Verona on 1 March 1774. Sensitive to the needs of the poor of her city and guided by a profound religious sense, she discovered, with great difficulty, after many experiences and trials, her charism in the Church: she would choose to live the Gospel radically for God alone not according to the monastic form, but through dedication and service of the poor.
On 8 May 1808 she left definitively the palace of Canossa family and started her work with a few companions, gathering together and educating young girls from St. Zeno district. Later, the Institute of the Daughters of Charity extended to other Italian cities: Venice, Milan, Bergamo, and Trent, while Magdalene widened her contacts with religious and civil authorities so as to obtain support for her own and other charitable initiatives.
With the help of a Venetian priest and two lay men of Bergamo, she started the Congregation of the Sons of Charity on 23 May 1831. In her extensive apostolic activities, she involved numerous people, making them responsible together with her for promoting charity.
She died in Verona on 10 April 1835. She was proclaimed Blessed by Pope Pius XII on 8 December 1941 and canonised by Pope John Paul II on 2 October 1988.
Canossa Academy of Lipa City is a Filipino Catholic school community which aims at the education of Sharer's of God's love, Men and Women of Faith, Academically Competent Learners, Responsible agents of Social Transformation, true brothers and sisters of the poor, S.M.A.R.T Canossians with the heart for the family, community, church, and the world.
- Openness to truth – The Canossians educator is open to reality, truth and growth of oneself and of people. As a genuine human being, he/she takes upon himself/herself as a personal responsibility to recognize, encourage and to use every opportunity that will develop and enhance himself/herself and other in each one's potential and unique giftedness.
- PATRIOTISM AND CULTURAL INTEGRATION - He/She has deepening awareness and appreciation of his/her unique Filipino roots (values, customs and traditions), who can blend the native and foreign and begin to live with greater harmony an integrate within himself/herself as well as with others, accepting cultural differences, and racial and ethnic wealth.
- CREATIVE TEAMWORK - He/She is a generous giver who exemplifies the desires and the willingness to share talent and time in building the school/faith communities. He/She is trusting, understanding, zealous, persevering, patient and cooperative, and behaves with spontaneity and in simplicity. He/She is an information seeker and sharer who has learned to listen and communicate and is capable of assuming different positions and roles in any group. He/She can coordinate group interactions and activities, accept and integrate ideas and suggestions of others and who cam draw together divergent viewpoints and activities for the common good.
- SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY - He or she works toward the well-being and equality of persons; engages himself/herself in programs and projects which promote social justice and peace. In all these situations, he/she is able to respond peacefully even when met by violence. He/She treats the earth non-violently, conserves resources and respects the delicate ecological balance.
- UPRIGHTNESS AND SELF-DISCIPLINE - He/She is honest, sincere and transparent in his/her words and actions. He/She is self-disciplined, knows how to delay gratification, weighs facts objectively, suspends judgment until further evidence and waits calmly for life's gradual unfolding revelation. He/She is a person with a vision, who can value, take a stand and act and live by what he/she believes.
- SELFLESS CARING – He/She is a concerned citizen who unifies past situations, present experiences and future thrusts in building life giving and love-nurturing environments. He/She can discover issues beyond the limits of self-concern and reach out freely to others - in the local, national and global communities, especially in programs and projects which promote social justice, peace and the good of the poor, the disadvantaged.
- COMPETENCY/SKILLS – He/She is a prepared professional who develops within himself/herself as well as the students the necessary life-learning tools for communication, problem-solving, decision-making, and creativity, as well as an informational framework which will prepare them for life. He/She demonstrates confidence in thinking, expressing and working as well as a mastery of his/her subject areas. As a well rounded person, he/she shows artistic and cultural abilities in appreciating music, literature and the arts, basic athletic skills and sportsmanship and can commit himself/herself in religious, social and civic activities.
- Rich in faith – He/She is a committed Christian who witnesses to the message of Christ as revealed in his person, the Scriptures, sacramental life, community doctrine, and the traditional heritage of the Church. He/She is reflective and is able to relate ordinary and significant events and experiences in his/her life, family, parish and acts based on Christian principles. He/She participates willingly and actively in liturgical practices. Equipped with knowledge of Christ, he/she becomes a sharer of God's love to others. Canossa Academy of Lipa City is a Canossian school community in the Philippines which aims at the education of Christian person sharer of GOD'S love,capable of assuming responsibility in the transformation of family,community,church and nation in solidarity with the most in need.
Canossa Academy Lipa is not only for the academic teachings but also reminds students to be a sharers of God's love, men and women of faith, academically competent learners, Responsible Agents of Social Transformation and True Brothers and Sisters To The Poor. Canossa also has three classroom building which is St. Joshephine Bakhita building, St. Magdalene of Canossa building and Mother Dalisay building. Canossa Academy Lipa has chapels, where students can pray, school canteen, school gym, basketball courts, volleyball courts, table tennis court, waiting area, outreach canteen, lobby, corridors and signs. These are for the students who want to learn and enhance their minds.
In line with their mission and goals as well as the expressed needs of the students and the community they seek to serve, Canossian School Communities make innovations, revisions and modifications of their curricular and co-curricular programs. As here understood, Curriculum consists of ALL EXPERIENCES the learners are to have under the direction of the school community. These experiences are chosen to assists learners attain personal and social effectiveness within the framework of the school community’s responsibility. The curriculum seeks to be functional, aiming at meeting objectives of general education and at developing the potentials of each student as a maturing person and a Filipino CRHISTIAN PERSON who is a SHARER OF GOD’S LOVE.
1. Elementary and High School Education is concerned with general and basic educationwhich begins in the Elementary School and is extended, developed and given additional basic conceptual and experiential structures in the secondary Level.
2. The PROCESS OF LEARNING is more important than an overwhelming amount of content information and date that have to be gathered, and known and studied/integrated and internalized.
3. In ALL SUBJECT AREAS, three particular objectives remain constant even if each one is given as a main task of related subject areas. 3.1. LEARNING HOW TO LEARN – mainly the task of the Language – mainly the task of the Language Arts and the Supervised Study Programs. 3.2. ACTING AND RELATING WITH OTHER PEOPLE WITH CONCERN AND CHRISTIAN ATTITUDES AND BEHAVIOUR and BEHAVIOUR-BASED ON A LIVELY PERSONAL FAITH – MAINLY THE TASKS. 3.3. MAKING DECISIONS FROM SEVERAL ALTERNATIVES with WISDOM, LOGIC, COHERENCE AND ASSURANCE – mainly the task of the Mathematics and Science Programs.
4. The ultimate aim of the curricular and co-curricular programs envisioned in the CANOSSIAN PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION is the INTEGRAL FORMATION, of the HUMAN PERSONS aimed at helping every member of the school community become more human and Christian, aware of his/her relationship of solidarity with all persons, through mutual love justice and through ecclesial community, since the origin, nature and destiny of every person is GOD as HE has REVEALED HIMSELF IN JESUS CHRIST.
4.1. Canossa Academy is a FILIPINO SCHOOL – which offers a program of studies approved, sanctioned and endorsed by the government of the Republic of the Philippines. GOALS AND OBJECTIVE As a FILIPINO SCHOOL it seeks to provide the students with opportunities for the development of their appreciation of their cultural heritage, as well as their talents which can enrich this legacy: by preparing them to live as responsible and concerned citizens of a democratic and free Filipino society; and by maintaining a campus life which is culturally stimulating and challenging.
4.2. Canossa Academy is a COLLEGE PREPARATORY SCHOOL providing three –level curriculum: Pre-School, Elementary and High School. GOALS AND OBJECTIVE As a COLLEGE PREPARATORY SCHOOL, it strives to maintain an academically excellent pre-school, elementary and secondary education curriculum adapted to the level of the students the school caters to. Students are so prepared that they can participate, contribute and live successfully in a challenging, continuously changing technological society – through their cognitive, affective faculties and their manipulative skills.
4.3. Canossa Academy is a CATHOLIC educational institution which offers educational programs that are animated by Catholic belief and doctrine. GOALS AND OBJECTIVE As a CATHOLIC SCHOOL, Canossa Academy seeks to provide students with a carefully planned Religious Education Program in the teachings and traditions of the Catholic Faith, and of spiritual activities and experiences in liturgical celebrations and community services; and by encouraging friendly interactions and interpersonal relationships among peers, older and younger persons. All of these are aimed at helping them to respond to the inspirations of a lively personal faith nurtured by Scriptures and the Sacraments and deepened by personal reflection and prayer.
4.4. Canossa Academy is a CANOSSIAN SCHOOL which was founded and is managed by the Canossian Congregation. GOALS AND OBJECTIVE As a CANOSSIAN SCHOOL, it aims to develop in students self-esteem, acceptance, self-discipline and the capacity for self-sacrifice and reliance; and to cultivate positive attitudes towards work. Acquisition of work skill by providing direct and personal spiritual and moral guidance in an atmosphere of love, care and simplicity and in trusting dialogue; by encouraging activities geared to develop in students an intellectual and emotional awareness of the poor and the needy so that students may reflect, decide and act for their good and improvement, and by establishing close communication and collaboration with the families of students in their formation and growth. Canossian education is geared towards the FORMATION OF THE HEART, a mission so dear to its Foundress, St. Magdalene of Canossa.
- Gazette Jr.
- Canossian Gazette
- Br. Armin Luistro FSC – former president De La Salle University-Manila, and current secretary of the Department of Education
- Oscar L. Gozos – former Congressman of the 4th district of Batangas and former mayor of Lipa City