Canyon Falls Bridge
Canyon Falls Bridge
|Location||US 41 over Sturgeon River, L'Anse Township, Michigan|
|Area||less than 1 acre (0.40 ha)|
|Architect||Michigan State Highway Department|
|Architectural style||Other, steel girder ribbed deck arc|
|MPS||Highway Bridges of Michigan MPS|
|NRHP Reference #||99001464|
|Added to NRHP||November 30, 1999|
During 1947–48, the Michigan State Highway Department (MSHD) contracted for the construction of eleven different trunkline bridges in the Upper Peninsula. Five of these bridges were required because of reconstruction to US 41. The Canyon Falls Bridge was designated Bridge No. B2 of 7-4-5 C2 by the MSHD. The steel arch bridge was designed by MSHD engineers and constructed for $116,389.42, plus an additional $58,200 for structural steel. The bridge was completed in the middle of 1948, and has remained in use in essentially unaltered condition since.
This bridge is significant because the steel arch design is relatively rare in the state, due largely to the fact that few river crossings afforded the required vertical distance. The Canyon Falls Bridge is a visually striking construction, representing the Highway Department's focus on aesthetics.
The Canyon Falls Bridge is constructed of a two-hinged, girder-ribbed arch. The span is 128 feet (39 m) long, with 52-foot (16 m) approach spans on each end for an overall structure length of 232 feet (71 m). Five ribs support a 45.4-foot-wide (13.8 m) deck, of which 38 feet (12 m) is used for the asphalt roadway. The ribs rest on massive concrete pedestals.
The configuration of the bridge is highly simplified, with some minimal decoration on ancillary components. Guardrails have ornamental steel rails and balusters, and a decorative concrete pylon tops each arch pedestal. The appearance of the pylons and the profile of the arched ribs gives the bridge a distinctive Art Moderne look.
- Bridges portal
- Michigan portal
- National Register of Historic Places portal
- List of bridges on the National Register of Historic Places in Michigan
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Baraga County, Michigan
- National Park Service (July 9, 2010). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. Retrieved November 20, 2011.
- Staff. "Canyon Falls Bridge". Historic Sites Online. Michigan State Housing Development Authority. Archived from the original on March 18, 2012. Retrieved November 20, 2011.