Carl Adam Petri
|Carl Adam Petri|
12 July 1926|
Leipzig, Weimar Republic
|Died||2 July 2010
|Fields||Mathematics, Computer Science|
|Institutions||University of Bonn|
|Alma mater||Darmstadt University of Technology|
|Known for||Petri nets|
|Notable awards||Cross of Merit, First class (1988)
Konrad Zuse Medal (1993)
Werner von Siemens Ring (1996)
IEEE Computer Pioneer Award (2008)
Life and work
Petri's major scientific contribution, the concept of the Petri net, was invented in August 1939 by Carl Petri – at the age of 13 – for the purpose of describing chemical processes. In 1941 his father told him about Konrad Zuse's work on computing machines and Carl Adam started building his own analog computer.
Petri started studying mathematics at the Darmstadt University of Technology in 1950. He documented the Petri net in 1962 as part of his dissertation, Kommunikation mit Automaten (communication with automata). He worked from 1959 until 1962 at the University of Bonn and received his PhD degree in 1962 from the Darmstadt University of Technology.
Petri's work significantly advanced the fields of parallel computing and distributed computing, and it helped define the modern studies of complex systems and workflow management systems. His contributions have been in the broader area of network theory which includes coordination models and theories of interaction, and eventually led to the formal study of software connectors.
Petri was honored with the following awards:
- 1993: Konrad Zuse Medal of the Gesellschaft für Informatik.
- 1996: Werner von Siemens Ring, a prestigious German award in technical sciences.
- 2003: honored by Her Majesty the Queen of the Netherlands with the title Commander in the Order of the Netherlands Lion.
- 2007: honored for his lifetime achievements by the "Academy of Transdisciplinary Learning and Advanced Studies (ATLAS)" with a "Academy Gold Medal of Honor".
- 2008: Computer Pioneer Award from the IEEE.
- Smith, Einar (2015). Carl Adam Petri: Life and Science. Springer. ISBN 978-3-662-48092-2.
- Carl Adam Petri and Wolfgang Reisig (2008) Petri net. Scholarpedia, 3(4):6477
- Petri's page at the University of Hamburg
- Konrad-Zuse-Medaille, Gesellschaft für Informatik (in German), retrieved 2012-03-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Carl Adam Petri.|