|Genres||Alternative rock, electronic|
|Instruments||Drums, vocals, keyboards, bass|
|Labels||ATP Recordings & TBD Records|
|Associated acts||Autolux, PJ Harvey & John Parish, Vincent Gallo, Jack White,|
Carla Azar is an American musician and member of the band Autolux. Azar is a multi-instrumentalist but is known primarily for playing drums with Wendy & Lisa and in Autolux. She has collaborated with the artist/painter Mark Whalen, (also known as Kill Pixie) on several art exhibitions from 2009–2011, creating music for installation rooms for the artist. Azar is also known for playing with Jack White, contributing drums on Jack White's 2012 album, Blunderbuss, and his follow up album Lazaretto, as well as touring with him. Carla costars in an ensemble cast in the 2014 film Frank. The film stars Michael Fassbender and Domhnall Gleeson.
The band Autolux formed in 2001 in Los Angeles. Azar met Eugene Goreshter while scoring Nobel Prize winner Dario Fo's play Accidental Death of an Anarchist. Azar met Greg Edwards while Edward's was playing in his previous band. In August 2000, Autolux made their debut, playing two shows at the Silverlake Lounge. On March 1, 2001, the band released a self-produced EP entitled Demonstration. It contained five songs recorded on an 8 track in their rehearsal space.
In January 2008, Azar entered the studio along with PJ Harvey, John Parish, Eric Drew Feldman and, Giovanni Ferrario to provide drums on the follow-up to Harvey and Parish's 1996 collaboration Dance Hall at Louse Point.
In 2014 Azar costars as part of an ensemble cast in the film Frank, directed by Lenny Abrahamson, starring Michael Fassbender as Frank. Carla plays Nana, the drummer in Frank's band. Carla also plays drums and percussion on the soundtrack to the film.
- Wendy and Lisa by Wendy & Lisa (1987)
- Fruit at the bottom by Wendy & Lisa (1989)
- Eroica by Wendy & Lisa (1990)
- Curtains by John Frusciante (Record Collection) (2005)
- The True False Identity by T-Bone Burnett (DMZ) (2006)
- A Woman a Man Walked By by PJ Harvey and John Parish (2009)
- The People's Key by Bright Eyes (Saddle Creek Records) (2011)
- Tomorrow Never Knows (with Alison Mosshart) from the Sucker Punch soundtrack (2011)
- Blunderbuss by Jack White (Third Man) (2012)
- Lazaretto by Jack White (Third Man) (2014)
- Frank soundtrack (2014)
- "Jack White Interviews Carla Azar", Azar interview with musician Jack White for Tom Tom magazine
- Carla Azar at AllMusic. Retrieved 2012-04-27.
- Wiederhorn, Jon (July 27, 2005). "Trent Reznor Boosts Autolux From Clubs To Arenas". MTV.com. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- Ankeny, Jason. Biography of Autolux at AllMusic. Retrieved 2007-05-05.
- "vincent gallo : MUSIC NEWS". Retrieved 2007-05-26.
- "Music: T Bone Burnett's The True False Identity In Stores May 16". Rubber Magazine. Retrieved 2007-05-26.
- "John Frusciante – Curtains". Discogs. Retrieved 2007-05-26.
- Polly To Hit The Studio With John Parish
- "Jack White Kicks Off His Solo Tour in Chattanooga Pictures – Carla Azar". Rolling Stone.
- White, Jack (January 11, 2013), "Jack White Interviews Carla Azar". Tom Tom. Retrieved March 16, 2015.